|Born||1940 (age 76–77)|
|Institutions||University of California, Berkeley|
|Alma mater||University of California, Berkeley|
|Thesis||Nonlinear Programming and Optimal Control (1966)|
|Doctoral advisor||Lotfi A. Zadeh|
|Doctoral students||Jean Walrand
Mark H. A. Davis
Pravin Pratap Varaiya (born 1940) is Nortel Networks Distinguished Professor in the Department of Electrical Engineering at the University of California, Berkeley. He received the Ph.D. degree in Electrical Engineering in 1963 also from Berkeley.
He has worked in the areas of Control, Communication Networks, and Transportation Systems. He is the author of “High-Performance Communication Networks” (with Jean Walrand and Andrea Goldsmith) (2d edn., Morgan-Kaufmann, 2000).
In 1980 Varaiya became Fellow of the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE), in 1999 he was elected to member of the National Academy of Engineering, and in 2006 he became Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. In 2002 he received the IEEE Control Systems Award, "for outstanding contributions to stochastic and adaptive control and the unification of concepts from control and computer science". And in 2008 he received the Richard E. Bellman Control Heritage Award from the American Automatic Control Council, "for pioneering contributions to stochastic control, hybrid systems and the unification of theories of control and computation".
- EECS Berkeley
- "Fellow Class of 1980". IEEE. Retrieved April 4, 2011.
- "NAE Members Directory - Dr. Pravin P. Varaiya". NAE. Retrieved April 5, 2011.
- "Book of Members, 1780-2010: Chapter V" (PDF). American Academy of Arts and Sciences. Retrieved April 5, 2011.
- "IEEE Control Systems Award Recipients" (PDF). IEEE. Retrieved April 5, 2011.
- "IEEE Control Systems Award". IEEE Control Systems Society. Retrieved April 5, 2011.
- "Richard E. Bellman Control Heritage Award". American Automatic Control Council. Retrieved February 10, 2013.
|This biography of an American academic is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|