|Born||April 1, 1946 (age 77)|
|Known for||Nonlinear Dynamics Theory|
|Awards||Humboldt Prize (2009)|
|Institutions||Georgia Institute of Technology|
Predrag Cvitanović (pronounced [tsʋitǎːnoʋitɕ, - tsʋǐta-]; born April 1, 1946) is a theoretical physicist regarded for his work in nonlinear dynamics, particularly his contributions to periodic orbit theory.
Cvitanović earned his B.S. from MIT in 1969 and his Ph.D. at Cornell University in 1973. Before joining the physics department at the Georgia Institute of Technology he was the director of the Center for Chaos and Turbulence Studies of the Niels Bohr Institute in Copenhagen.
Cvitanović is a member of the Royal Danish Academy of Sciences and Letters, a corresponding member of Croatian Academy of Sciences and Arts, a recipient of the Research Prize of the Danish Physical Society, and a fellow of the American Physical Society.
Perhaps his best-known work is his introduction of cycle expansions— that is, expansions based on using periodic orbit theory—to approximate chaotic dynamics in a controlled perturbative way. This technique has proven to be widely useful for diagnosing and quantifying chaotic dynamics in problems ranging from atomic physics to neurophysiology. This theory has been applied by Cvitanović and others to fluid turbulence. Another well-known result is the Feigenbaum-Cvitanović functional equation.
- P. Cvitanović, R. Artuso, R. Mainieri, G. Tanner and G. Vattay, "Chaos: Classical and Quantum" Niels Bohr Institute, Copenhagen 2005
- P. Cvitanović, "Group Theory: Birdtracks, Lie's, and Exceptional Groups" Princeton University Press, Princeton 2008, available online at http://birdtracks.eu/
- "Predrag Cvitanović". gatech.edu. Georgia Institute of Technology. Retrieved 2015-02-02.
- "Predrag Cvitanović; Tapped for Humboldt Award". gatech.edu. Georgia Institute of Technology. Retrieved 2010-06-02.
- P. Cvitanovć (1988). "Invariant measurement of strange sets in terms of cycles". Phys. Rev. Lett. 61 (24): 2729–2732. Bibcode:1988PhRvL..61.2729C. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.61.2729. PMID 10039207.
- P. Cvitanovć; B. Eckhardt (1989). "Periodic orbit quantization of chaotic systems". Phys. Rev. Lett. 63 (8): 823. Bibcode:1989PhRvL..63..823C. doi:10.1103/PhysRevLett.63.823. PMID 10041194.
- R. Artuso; E. Aurell; P. Cvitanović (1990). "Recycling of strange sets: I. Cycle expansions". Nonlinearity. 3 (2): 325. Bibcode:1990Nonli...3..325A. doi:10.1088/0951-7715/3/2/005. S2CID 250889857.
- R. Artuso; E. Aurell; P. Cvitanović (1990). "Recycling of strange sets: II. Applications". Nonlinearity. 3 (2): 361. Bibcode:1990Nonli...3..361A. doi:10.1088/0951-7715/3/2/006. S2CID 250870355.