29 September 1981
|Height||5' 8" (1.73m)|
Preeti Desai (Gujarati: પ્રીતિ દેસાઇ) (born 29 September 1981) is a British actress, model and former Miss Great Britain. She made history by becoming the first woman of Indian origin to ever win the title.
She made her acting debut with acclaimed film Shor in the City (2011) and was nominated for Best Lead Actress at South Asian Rising Star Film Awards in New York City in October 2012 presented by SAIFF and HBO.
Desai was listed as the Times of India's 50 Most Desirable Women and People Magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People in 2011.
Desai is currently in LA and has been signed by Untitled Entertainment and Gersh Agency shooting for Gods and Secrets starring alongside Denise Richards, Jane Seymour, Twilight heartthrobs Kellan Lutz and Jackson Rathbone, and Breaking Bad alumnus RJ Mitte. It is an action drama that explores the darker ramifications of a world filled with superheroes.
Desai went to St Augustine's RC Primary school in Coulby Newham. Then to Nunthorpe Secondary school in Nunthorpe and Middlesbrough College.
Miss Great Britain (2006–2007)
Preeti Desai was crowned Miss Cleveland and went on to win Miss Great Britain in 2007. A British Indian, she made history by becoming the first woman of Indian origin to ever win the title. She was crowned Miss Great Britain after the previous winner was disqualified and the Country voted her to take over as the winner.
Desai moved to London from the North East of England to carry out her role as ambassador of Great Britain.
Desai supported organisations like Mind and Carers Week which took her to 10 Downing Street to have tea with then Prime Minister Gordon Brown to make light of some situations going on, and to the Houses of Parliament to get MP's to team up with her in support of Carers week.
Desai moved to Mumbai in 2008 and was represented by ace photographer Atul Kasbekar and started her career as a fashion model when she appeared on the cover of L'officiel magazine with super star Shahrukh Khan as her 1st assignment, following straight after with her 2nd assignment the Kingfisher calendar 2008. Desai was also selected to be solely on the cover of the Kingfisher Calendar special edition.
In the same year Desai appeared on the October cover of Cosmopolitan magazine. Desai soon became a favourite in the Indian fashion industry and walked for all the big designers, fashion weeks and appeared on more magazine covers.
In October 2009 Desai was announced as the new face of the retail apparel company Provogue, along with Indian actor Hrithik Roshan. Desai also featured with Italian designer Leonardo Ferragamo of Salvatore Ferragamo Italia S.p.A. for L'Officiel magazine, and walked for fashion designer Christopher Kane in a Fashion Week.
Desai got herself a super model status in India in the short span of two years before she started filming for her first feature film and moved on to acting in 2011.
Film debut (2011)
Desai made her film debut in a feature film Shor in the City which was released on April 2011. It is directed by Raj Nidimoru and DK Krishna, and is produced by Balaji Films Ekta Kapoor. Desai plays the role of the female protagonist Sharmili, opposite Indian-American actor Sendhil Ramamurthy. The film is a thriller drama, set in contemporary Mumbai, with three separate but interrelated storylines, of which one is in English and two in Hindi.
Desai is Nominated for Best Lead Actress at South Asian Rising Star Film Awards in New York on October 2012 presented by SAIFF and HBO. Shor in the City was officially selected for the Pusan International Film Festival and the Dubai International Film Festival in 2011. The film won the Best Director Award at MIAAC in New York.
Upcoming feature film titled One by Two directed by "Devika Bhagat" and produced by i.e. films and Amit Kapoor cynozure network music by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy stars Desai in the leading role opposite Abhay Deol
Desai was listed as one of Time's 50 Most Desirable Women and People magazine's 50 Most Beautiful People in 2011.
Esquire magazine featured Desai as 'A Woman we love' and wrote "The first thing you notice about Preeti Desai are her slinky long legs, model physique and huge doe-like brown eyes. Then she opens her mouth and a strong Northern English accent burst out – a nostalgic flashback reminiscent of the old Boddingtons advert's that featured glamorous women with pronounced Manchester accents. The down-to-earth naughty humoured breath of fresh air walk's in."
Top Indian designer Anita Dongre known for never using showstoppers in her runway shows, for the first time in August 2012 asked Desai to close the show at fashion week. Questioning Dongre on why she wanted Desai to don the final piece, Anita Dongre said "I saw no one else but Preeti in my showstopper design, she makes all my designs look beautiful, and she has the right elegance, confidence and poise."
|2018||Gods and Secrets|
|2017||Infatuation||Katie Williams||Post Production|
|2017||Houses + Hotels||Kirati||Post Production|
|2017||The Bachelor Next Door||Jennifer Green||Post Production|
|2014||One by Two||Samara Patel|
|2011||Shor in the City||Shalmili|
Nominated Best Lead Actress at South Asian Rising Star Film Awards in New York 2012
- "First Miss Great Britain of Indian origin". Sepia Mutiny. 5 December 2006.
- "Times Most Desirable Women of 2011: Preeti Desai – No.50 – Video". The Times of India.
- "Contact Support". releasedateindia.in. Retrieved 20 August 2017.
- Herbert, Ian (25 November 2006). "How an Asian immigrant grew up to be Miss Great Britain". The Independent. London.
- "Kitetherapy! – Kitecrowd Kite Forum". Kitecrowd. Retrieved 20 August 2017.
- "Bollywood Officially Enters L'Officiel". 19 September 2007. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- "Kingfisher Calendar 2008".
- "Preeti Desai September Kingfisher Calendar 2008".
- "New women in Provogues life!". 27 September 2009.
- "NOISE (SHOR) Directed by Raj Nidimoru & Krishna DK". Mahindra Indo-American Arts Council Film Festival. November 2010. Archived from the original on 18 October 2010.
- Devansh Patel (18 April 2011). ""I am not considering Shor in the City as my debut film" – Preeti Desai". Retrieved 21 April 2011.
- Preeti Desai on IMDb
- "Shor in the City movie review: Wallpaper, Story, Trailer at Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Review: Shor In The City is brilliant stuff!". Rediff.com. 28 April 2011. Retrieved 5 August 2012.
- "Shor in the City: Cricket inspires Bollywood". Sawf News. Retrieved 6 April 2011.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 29 January 2013. Retrieved 22 November 2012.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Preeti Desai.|
| Miss Great Britain