17 May 1953|
|Died||2 December 2012
|Known for||Comic roles in Hindi cinema|
Preeti Ganguly (May 17, 1953 – December 2, 2012) was an Indian actress who played several comic roles in Bollywood in the 1970s and 1980s. She was the daughter of veteran Indian actor Ashok Kumar, and part of the Ganguly family. She is best known for her comic role as Freni Sethna, the die-hard Amitabh Bachchan fan in Basu Chatterjee's Khatta Meetha (1978).
After she lost some 50 kg, her film roles dwindled and later in 1993, she started an acting school named after her father, 'Ashok Kumar's Academy of Dramatic Arts' in Mumbai, where he also took film appreciation classes. Years later, she appeared in Emraan Hashmi starrer, Aashiq Banaya Aapne (2005).
Actor Deven Verma is married to her elder sister Rupa Ganguly. Her brother, Aroop Kumar, appeared in only one film, Bezuban, released in 1962. Kishore Kumar, and actor Anoop Kumar are her uncles and her aunt is Sati Devi, married to Sashadhar Mukherjee (brother of Subodh Mukherjee) of the Mukherjee-Samarth family.
Preeti died of a cardiac arrest in Mumbai on December 2, 2012.
- Aashiq Banaya Aapne (2005)
- Tohfa Mohabbat Ka (1988)
- Uttar Dakshin (1987)
- Kranti (1981)
- Thodisi Bewafai (1980)
- Jhoota Kahin Ka (1979)
- Dillagi (1978)
- Khatta Meetha (1978)
- Chor Ke Ghar Chor (1978)
- Damaad (1978)
- Aahuti (1978)
- Ankh Ka Tara (1978)
- Anmol Tasveer (1978)
- Dillagi (1978)
- Aashiq Hoon Baharon Ka (1977)
- Anurodh (1977) ...Manjeet
- Saheb Bahadur (1977)
- Balika Badhu (1976)
- Khel Khel Mein (1975)
- Rani Aur Lalpari (1975)
- Dhuen Ki Lakeer (1974)
- Ashok Kumar’s daughter and actor Preeti Ganguly passes away in Mumbai, bollywoodlife.com, 4 December 2012
- "A legacy lives on". The Hindu. July 28, 2000.
- "Veteran actor Ashok Kumar passes away". The Economic Times. Dec 10, 2001.
- "Unfair fun". The Tribune. August 27, 2006.
- 'To be an actor, discover your own self', (Interview) at Indian Express, January 13, 2000.
- "Deven Verma at a musical do". The Times of India. May 26, 2011.
|This article about an Indian film actor is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|