||This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (September 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Preeti Sagar in 2012
|Genres||Pop, Indian classical music|
|Occupation(s)||Singer, playback singer|
|Years active||1969 – present|
Preeti Sagar is a former Bollywood playback singer who won the Filmfare Award for Best Female Playback Singer for the song "Mero Gaam Katha Parey" from Manthan in 1978 and was previously nominated for the hit song "My Heart is Beating" from Julie (1975).
Preeti is an accomplished singer with basic classical knowledge in music and singing. She shot to instant fame with her English song My Heart is Beating in Julie. She won a special Filmfare award for the same.
In spite of all the accolades and the awards, she couldn't sustain her position in Bollywood. Comparison with Geeta Dutt and Asha Bhosle somehow stunted her growth as a singer and she couldn't carve a niche for herself in the industry.
She decided instead to focus on the children's entertainment and education industry. She worked with Sa Re Ga Ma to create audio versions of several children's nursery rhyme collections in Hindi and English. She also created a Fairy Tales series.
She now runs her own production company called Angela Films which does advertising, short films and feature-film dubbing. In the 1990s, Angela Films produced the hit children's TV show, Phulwari Bachcho Ki. She was part of jury of the 52nd National Film Awards.
Preeti Sagar lives in Mumbai with her husband and two daughters. Her father, actor Moti Sagar, cousin of actor Motilal and singer Mukesh, appeared in films like Apna Ghar, Burma Road, and Chhoti Chhoti Baatein in 1950s and '60s. Preeti has two sisters including, youngest Namita Sagar who anchored Phulwari Bacchon Ki (1992–1999), produced by her father.
- Julie (1975) - My heart is beating
- Nishant (1975) - Piya Baaj Pyaala Piya Jaye Na
- Manthan (1976) - Mero Gaam Katha Parey
- Bhoomika (1977) - Tumhare bin jee naa lage
- Kalyug (1981) - What's your problem
- Mandi (1983) - Shamsher Bhare Na Maang Ghazab
- "Awards". IMBD.
- "Juries for the selection of films for National Awards set up". Ministry of Information & Broadcasting. 29 June 2005.
- To give every Indian a number, Team Nilekani has own number Indian Express, 13 September 2010.
- Moti Sagar on IMDb
- "Mumbai Notes: Thespian Moti Sagar dead". 15 March 1999.