Prem (film director)
22 October 1976
|Other names||Jogi Prem, Byre Gowda, Prem's|
|Occupation||Film director, actor, playback singer, lyricist, producer|
|Parent(s)||Rajappa Gowda, Bhagyamma Gowda|
Prem was born as Kiran Kumar on 22 October 1976 in Maddur, in the Mandya district of the Indian state of Karnataka, to Rajappa and Bhagyamma. He is married to actress-turned-producer Rakshita and they have a son named Surya.
He became a director in 2003 with Kariya, a gangster romance film starring Darshan in the lead. The film was critically acclaimed and appreciated by the audience. Prem was lauded for his casting of real life big dons to act in his movie. The soundtrack and cinematography were also widely appreciated. Darshan played a gangster struggling to express his love. The same year, Prem directed the light-hearted romantic film Excuse Me with Ajay Rao, Sunil Raoh and Ramya in the lead roles. The film turned out to be a musical hit with many of its songs composed by R. P. Patnaik becoming chart busters.
In 2005, Prem came out with his biggest blockbuster film, Jogi, starring Shivarajkumar, Jennifer Kotwal and Arundhati Nag in the lead roles. The film made record collections at the box-office. The mother-son sentiment theme was widely applauded and was considered as Shivarajkumar's biggest comeback film.
Following three back-to-back super hit films, Prem tried his hand at acting besides directing the film Ee Preethi Yeke Bhoomi Melide in 2008. The film's pre-release promotions received much media attention and expectations of the film were high. Bollywood actress Mallika Sherawat made her debut in South Indian films with a special appearance. The film was widely popular for its melodious sound tracks.
Prem next directed the film Raaj the Showman in 2010. It starred Puneeth Rajkumar and Priyanka Kothari. It is remembered mostly for its soundtrack by V. Harikrishna and cinematography. The movie was an average grosser at the box office despite the presence of the heavyweights Puneeth Rajkumar and V. Harikrishna.
Prem, for the first time without himself directing, accepted the lead role in the controversial film titled Prem Adda, a remake of the Tamil blockbuster hit Subramaniapuram with music by V.Harikrishna directed by Mahesh Babu. The film made an average collection in box office. Under his production house Premdreams he produced and acted in the movie DK in 2014.
|2007||Ee Preethi Yeke Bhoomi Melide||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2009||Raaj the Showman||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2018||Ambi Ning Vayassaytho||Yes|
|TBA||Ek Love Ya||Filming|
|2003||"Brahma Vishnu Shiva"||Excuse Me||R. P. Patnaik||Sang with chorus|
|"Thottilu Thugolige"||Co-sang with Madhukar|
|"Hodi Maga"||Co-sang with Gurukiran and Gururaj Hoskote|
|2007||"Magalu Doddavaladalu"||Ee Preethi Yeke Bhoomi Melide||R. P. Patnaik||Co-sang with C. Ashwath and Kalpana|
|"Ee Preethi Yeke"||Solo|
|2009||"Raajaa Heluvagella"||Raaj the Showman||V. Harikrishna||Co-sang with Shreya Ghoshal|
|2011||"Odole"||Jogayya||V. Harikrishna||Co-sang with Shreya Ghoshal|
|2012||"Baadigege"||Prem Adda||V. Harikrishna||Co-sang with Shreya Ghoshal|
|2013||"Davva Davva"||Jataayu||Vinay Chandra||Solo|
|2015||"Sesamma"||DK||Arjun Janya||Co-sang with Mamta Sharma|
|2017||""Ee Mannali"||Mass Leader||Veer Samarth||Co-sang with Chintan Vikas and Govind Kurnool|
|2018||"Marali Baradorige"||Parasanga||Harsha Vardhan Raj||Solo|
|"Tick Tick Tick"
||The Villain||Arjun Janya||Co-sang with Kailash Kher, Vijay Prakash, and Siddharth Basrur|
|"Rana Rana Raavana"||Co-sang with Shreya Ghoshal|
|"Amma Amma Ammaa"||Sinnga||Dharma Vish||Solo|
|2020||"Belakondu"||Naanu Matthu Gunda||Karthik Sharma||Solo|
|2021||"Helu Yaake"||Ek Love Ya||Arjun Janya||Solo|
- Weekend with Ramesh Season 2 – Episode 1 – December 26, 2015 – Full Episode (in Kannada). Zee Kannada. 26 December 2015. Event occurs at 8:30. Retrieved 2 January 2016.
- "Happy Birthday Prem". supergoodmovies.com. Archived from the original on 4 March 2016. Retrieved 12 July 2015.
- "Is prem the highest paid director of sandalwood? he makes sure producers' investment are safe". Filmibeat. Retrieved 19 April 2019.
- "Prem says Salmankhan was all praise for this a list kannada actor and its not sudeep". Filmibeat. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Whenever prem and I collaborate, he experiments on me: Shivrajkumar". The Times of India. Retrieved 16 October 2018.
- "I follow shivanna and ignore the attacks". Bangalore Mirror. Retrieved 5 July 2018.
- "Director prem returns to acting". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- "I appreciate salman khans love for south indian films: prem". Cinema Express. Retrieved 7 May 2019.
- "Prem's Ek Love Ya shooting begins today". The Times of India. Retrieved 20 May 2019.
- "Director Prem grabs attention with catchy title for next". The Indian Express. Retrieved 1 April 2019.
- "Sudeep laud prem, the villain is special". Indiaglitz. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Prem sings sentimental song for Singha". Cinema Express. Retrieved 16 February 2019.