Born in Germany, Joshua learned the flute at the age of five and played the flute and the saxophone for various local bands. At the age of 18, he traveled overland to India studying the indigenous folk music of countries along the way. Joshua was the name his parents gave him, he later added Prem to it, dropping the family name, to remind him of the essence of love (Prem means love in Hindi).
On reaching India, Joshua learned to play the sitar from Ustad Usman Khan and Osho. Osho inspired him and his music. His website states that "In the presence of this man with a long white beard, eyes as deep as the ocean and a strong sense of humor, he came in touch with the art of the “inner music” - Silence. This was really coming home!"
Throughout his career, he has experimented with various forms of music, creating a blend of the East and the West. He has also worked extensively with other producers, making remixes of his own songs and infusing traditional Hindustani acoustic instruments with lounge and trance beats. His music has immensely contributed to the Asian Underground and fusion scene.
In 1991, Joshua launched his first project, “Terra Incognita”, with Kora player, Ravi, and British Sarod player, Chinmaya Dunster, with which he released two albums. He subsequently released four solo albums and formed the band, “Hamsafar”, with which he released one album. Following this, Joshua began to experiment with genres like drum and bass, lounge, and trance, while still focusing on traditional Hindustani music.
Prem Joshua — sitar, bamboo flutes, soprano saxophone, vocals
Raul Sengupta — tabla, darbouka, cajon, congas, percussion, laptops, vocals
Satgyan Fukuda — electric bass, percussion, vocals
Robin Mattuck — keyboards, percussion, vocals
Runa Rizvi — vocalist
- No Goal But The Path - with Terra Incognita, New Earth Records, 1991
- Tribal Gathering - with Terra Incognita, New Earth Records, 1992
- Tales of a Dancing River - New Earth Records, 1993
- Hamsafar - New Earth Records, 1994
- Desert Visions - New Earth Records, 1995
- Secret of the Wind - New Earth Records, 1996
- Mudra - White Swan Records, 1998
- Sky Kisses Earth - White Swan Records, 1999
- Dance of Shakti - White Swan Records, 2001
- Water Down The Ganges - with Manish Vyas, Medial Music, 2001
- Shiva Moon - Prem Joshua Remixed by Maneesh de Moor - Medial Music, 2003
- Dakini Lounge - Prem Joshua Remixed - White Swan Records, 2003
- Yatri - Medial Music, 2004
- Ahir - with Chintan, Medial Music, 2006
- Taranga - White Swan Records, 2006
- In Concert, 2008
- Prem Joshua & Band In Concert [LIVE] - White Swan Records, 2009
- Luminous Secrets - Link to Album on Official Website, 2010
- "Kashi: Songs from the India Within" , 2014 
- Prem Joshua - Official Website
- New Earth Records - Official Website
- White Swan Records - Official Website
- Trident Entertainment - Official Website
- Prem Joshua's LastFM Site