An Indo-Fijian, Singh was educated in Fiji and at Wellington Polytechnic in New Zealand. He served three terms on the Nadi town council, and was deputy mayor from 1999 to 2001. He is a founding member of the Fiji Cane Growers Association.
Singh contested the 2001 election for the NFP, winning the Nadi Open constituency and becoming the only member of his party to win a seat in the House of Representatives. He was subsequently appointed Leader of the Opposition, after Fiji Labour Party leader Mahendra Chaudhry declined the office. In February 2002 he lost his seat after an election petition. Singh appealed this decision to the Supreme Court which ruled that even though the ruling was incorrect, the Constitution did not allow for the appeal of a Court of Disputed Returns ruling.
In September 2016 the High Court found that Singh had violated the Political Parties (Registration, Conduct, Funding and Disclosures) Decree 2013 by under declaring value of estate held in Nadi. The finding was later upheld by the Court of Appeal, and referred to the Fiji Independent Commission Against Corruption.
Singh gained only 926 votes in the 2018 election and was not re-elected.
- "Vote Prem Singh" (PDF). NFP. Retrieved 16 October 2018.
- "People: Prem Singh of Nadi". National Federation Party. Retrieved 2014-09-23.
- Prasad v Singh, 2002 FJHC 8 (High Court of Fiji 2002-02-08).
- "Fiji prime minister wants by-election after Prem Singh's ousting". Radio New Zealand International. 2002-08-20. Retrieved 2014-09-24.
- "2014 Election Results". Fiji Elections Office. Archived from the original on 2014-09-21. Retrieved 2014-09-23.
- Jyoti Pratibha (9 September 2016). "COURT: MP Guilty Of Breaches". Fiji Sun. Retrieved 16 October 2018.
- Jyoti Pratibha (6 October 2018). "Court battle reveals that National Federation Party Provisional Candidate Falsified the Value of His Late Father's Estate". Fiji Sun. Retrieved 16 October 2018.
| Leader of the Opposition
|This article about a Fijian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|