Premier Dead Sea
Dead Sea Premier Cosmetics Laboratories (Hebrew: פרמייר מעבדות ים המלח) is an Israeli cosmetics and skincare company that manufactures its products using mineral components extracted from the Dead Sea. It was founded in 1990 and is part of Hadan Group, which has been specializing in cosmetics since 1979.
In 1990, a group of Russian researchers studied the effects of space travel on astronauts. Part of their clinical research was to address the effects of sagging skin, which resulted in developing Premier’s first products. In the same year Premier's Center for Research was established together with its current owners, and five skincare products were developed. In 1994, Premier’s first products received awards in the cosmetic field in Europe. In 1997, Premier launched its own skincare line in Israel and later abroad. By 1999, Premier Cosmetics held the largest share of cosmetics exports from Israel to Japan, and is currently one of the biggest cosmetics exporter from Israel.
Current skincare products
Premier’s skincare products are based on Dead Sea mud, which is believed to have benefits for deep cleansing and stimulation of the skin, combined with Dead Sea water and minerals, that are said to improve the metabolism, stimulate blood circulation and aid in the natural repair of cells.
Premier's skincare ranges include: First skincare line produced by the company, which includes bestselling products such as the award-winning Miracle Noir Mask. “Biox” skincare (2007), described as a non-surgical and affordable alternative to cosmetic procedures. “Ageless Future” skincare (2008) which is described as a cosmetic line which revives cellular metabolism. “Quartz Gem” skincare (2012), an anti-aging products enriched with Rose Quartz powder. In 2013, this line won the “Cosmopolitan Best of the Best” award. “Supreme” skincare(2013), a high-end anti-aging range aimed for the luxury market.
Signing Mariah Carey as company face
Dead Sea Premier Cosmetics Laboratories has received different awards over the years: GCI Magazine Award (2004), HBA International Award (2004, 2005, 2007, 2008), The Council for a Beautiful Israel (2012, 2013), Centrum Kosmetyki, Israel Cosmetics Industries Association and the Cosmetics Business Innovation Award (2013).
Although Dead Sea Premier Cosmetics' laboratories and suppliers operate within Israel's undisputed territories, the company has become a target for boycott-of-Israel campaigns, particularly in the United Kingdom and Ireland. Most economic boycotts against Israel target businesses running from within the disputed occupied territories, but some[which?] campaigners do not always distinguish between the two regions. BDS does not currently enlist Premier Dead Sea on its list of brands to boycott.
Unconnected to any economic boycotts of Israel is the international concern over the pervasive use of aggressive and often deceptive sales tactics by employees of so-called Dead Sea Cosmetics retailers at shopping malls worldwide. As a leading brand of Dead Sea skincare, this reflects heavily on the company's business even when uninvolved directly.
Dead Sea Cosmetics Issues
In a January 2010 cable wired from the U.S. embassy in Tel Aviv to federal law enforcement agencies — and then picked up and published by WikiLeaks — a laundry list of alleged financial shenanigans is described in connection with Dead Sea Cosmetics.
While none of this criticism was aimed at Premier Dead Sea, the brand had once again suffered by association.
- "היקף המכירות של יצרני הקוסמטיקה: מיליארד דולר - עושים עסק". TheMarker. 2013-03-19. Retrieved 2013-11-24.
- "Israel - Mineral Magic". Cosmeticsbusiness.com. 2010-03-20. Retrieved 2013-11-24.
- Portugal-Cohen, M.; Soroka, Y.; Ma'Or, Z.; Oron, M.; Zioni, T.; Brégégère, F. O. M.; Neuman, R.; Kohen, R.; Milner, Y. (2009). "Protective effects of a cream containing Dead Sea minerals against UVB-induced stress in human skin". Experimental Dermatology. 18 (9): 781–788. doi:10.1111/j.1600-0625.2009.00865.x. PMID 19469888.
- "The Times of Israel: Mariah Carey hits Israel to push 'Premier' cosmetics". timesofisrael.com. 2017-06-27. Retrieved 2017-07-11.
- "HPCi Media Limited: Delivering world-class events for the cosmetics, healthcare and pharmaceuticals markets". Hpcimedia.com. 2013-06-06. Archived from the original on 2013-09-19. Retrieved 2013-11-24.
- "Boycott Israel News: Israel's Premier Dead Sea Cosmetics forced out of shopping centres in Ireland and Scotland". Inminds.com. Retrieved 2013-11-24.
- "Dead Sea Premier". London BDS. Retrieved 2013-11-24.
- "Know what to boycott". London BDS. Retrieved 2020-02-17.
- Lidman, Melanie. "Exposed: The international scandal of Israel's Dead Sea product hawkers". www.timesofisrael.com. Retrieved 2019-03-22.
- "In Depth: Dead Sea Cosmetics and Skincare Industry Fraud". Wikilinks. January 25, 2010.