Presbytery of Glasgow
The Presbytery of Glasgow one of the 46 Presbyteries of the Church of Scotland. It dates back to the earliest periods of Presbyterian church government in the Church of Scotland in the late 16th century. The Presbytery of Glasgow currently has 147 congregations, making it by far the largest Presbytery in the Church of Scotland.
As a Presbyterian church, the Church of Scotland has no bishops. Instead courts of ministers, elders and deacons have collective responsibility for the governance of the church. The Presbytery is the intermediate court of the church, subject to the General Assembly and responsible for the oversight of Kirk Sessions (at a congregational level.) As with all courts of the Church, the Presbytery is chaired by an annually elected Moderator.
In 2003-2004, the Rev Adah Younger (minister at Dennistoun Central Parish Church) became the first woman to be Moderator of the Presbytery.
Congregations with their own Wikipedia site:
- Glasgow Cathedral (also known as the High Kirk or St. Mungo's)
- Jordanhill Parish Church
- Kelvin Stevenson Memorial Church
- Kelvinside Hillhead Parish Church
- Knightswood St. Margaret's Parish Church
- St Columba's Church (services in Gaelic and English)
- St. George's-Tron Church
- St. John's Renfield Church
- St Rollox Church, Sighthill, Glasgow
- Sherbrooke St. Gilbert's Church
- Wellington Church
- Williamwood Parish Church
Following local government reorganisation in 1975, the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland readjusted all Presbytery boundaries. The parishes in East Kilbride were transferred to the Presbytery of Hamilton at this time.
Currently the Very Rev Bill Hewitt (Moderator of the General Assembly 2009-2010) is temporarily serving as Acting Presbytery Clerk. Previous (full-time) Presbytery Clerks included the Rev Dr Angus Kerr (2009-2012) formerly minister at Newton Mearns Parish Church and the Very Rev David Lunan, (2002-2008) Moderator of the General Assembly of the Church of Scotland 2008-2009.
The Presbytery office is located at Renfield St. Stephen's Church in Bath Street.
- Govan Old Parish Church - no longer used for regular worship
- List of Church of Scotland parishes
- Norman Shanks - a former Presbytery Moderator
- Presbytery of Aberdeen (Church of Scotland)
- Presbytery of Europe (Church of Scotland)
- Diocese of Glasgow and Galloway (in the Scottish Episcopal Church)
- Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Glasgow
- Presbytery of Glasgow - official website
- Glasgow Churches Together
- The Independent: Obituary of the Very Rev Andrew Herron, Presbytery Clerk 1959-1981