Preseli Pembrokeshire (UK Parliament constituency)
for the House of Commons
Boundary of Preseli Pembrokeshire in Wales.
|Electorate||58,343 (December 2010)|
|Major settlements||Haverfordwest, Milford Haven, Fishguard, St Davids.|
|Member of Parliament||Stephen Crabb (Conservative)|
|Number of members||One|
|Created from||Ceredigion and Pembroke North, Pembroke|
|Welsh Assembly||Mid and West Wales|
|European Parliament constituency||Wales|
The Preseli Pembrokeshire Welsh Assembly constituency was created with the same boundaries in 1999.
Its MP, since 2005, is the Conservative Stephen Crabb, who was Secretary of State for Work and Pensions (Work and Pensions Secretary) from March to July 2016. The seat was held by Labour's candidate from its creation in 1997 until 2005; at the most recent election in 2017, Crabb's majority was the 27th closest out of the 650 Commons seats, 0.8% or 314 votes. Those two parties have won at least 27.7% of the vote apiece since its 1997 creation, with the next-placed parties having reached a maximum of 14.5% of the vote to date in a generally broad field.
The seat attracted five candidates in 2010 and eight in 2015 (an election in which five of the deposits were refunded and three lost).
The constituency was created in 1997 from parts of the seats of Ceredigion and Pembroke North and Pembroke. It comprises the north and west coasts of Pembrokeshire and areas inland. It is the most westerly constituency in Wales. Much of the coastal area is in the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park.
On its creation in 1997, its boundaries were co-terminous with the then District of Preseli Pembrokeshire. Since the 2006 boundary review of Welsh parliamentary constituencies, which took effect at the 2010 general election, it consists of the Pembrokeshire County electoral divisions of: Burton; Camrose; Cilgerran; Clydau; Crymych; Dinas Cross; Fishguard North East; Fishguard North West; Goodwick; Haverfordwest Castle; Haverfordwest Garth; Haverfordwest Portfield; Haverfordwest Prendergast; Haverfordwest Priory; Johnston; Letterston; Llangwm; Llanrhian; Maenclochog; Merlin’s Bridge; Milford Central; Milford East; Milford Hakin; Milford Hubberston; Milford North; Milford West; Newport; Neyland East; Neyland West; Rudbaxton; St David's; St Dogmaels; St Ishmael's; Scleddau; Solva; The Havens; and Wiston.
Members of Parliament
Elections in the 2010s
|Liberal Democrat||Thomas Hughes|
|Plaid Cymru||Owain Llŷr Williams||2,711||6.4||+0.2|
|Liberal Democrat||Bob Kilmister||1,106||2.6||+0.7|
|The New Society of Worth||Rodney Maile||31||0.1||N/A|
|Plaid Cymru||John Osmond||2,518||6.2||−3.0|
|Liberal Democrat||Nick Tregoning||780||1.9||−12.6|
|The New Society of Worth||Rodney Maile||23||0.1||N/A|
|Liberal Democrat||Nick Tregoning||5,759||14.5||+1.5|
|Plaid Cymru||Henry Jones-Davies||3,654||9.2||−3.3|
Elections in the 2000s
|Liberal Democrat||Dewi Smith||4,963||12.9||+2.3|
|Plaid Cymru||Matt Mathias||4,752||12.3||−0.4|
|Green||Molly Scott Cato||494||1.3||N/A|
|Socialist Labour||Patricia Bowen||275||0.7||−0.5|
|Conservative gain from Labour||Swing||+4.8|
|Plaid Cymru||Rhys Sinnett||4,658||12.7||+6.3|
|Liberal Democrat||Alexander Dauncey||3,882||10.6||−2.5|
|Socialist Labour||Patricia Bowen||452||1.2||N/A|
Elections in the 1990s
|Liberal Democrat||Jeffrey Clarke||5,527||13.0||N/A|
|Plaid Cymru||Alun Jones||2,683||6.3||N/A|
|Green||Molly Scott Cato||401||0.9||N/A|
|Labour win (new seat)|
- Preseli Pembrokeshire (Assembly constituency)
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Dyfed
- List of Parliamentary constituencies in Wales
Notes and references
- "Beyond 20/20 WDS - Table view". 2011 Electorate Figures. StatsWales. 1 December 2010. Retrieved 13 March 2011.
- Library, House of Commons (23 June 2017). "GE2017: Marginal seats and turnout".
- Leigh Rayment's Historical List of MPs – Constituencies beginning with "P" (part 2)
- "Election Data 2015". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 17 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Pembrokeshire results". Election Results. Pembrokeshire County Council. Archived from the original on 18 December 2011. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Election Data 2010". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 26 July 2013. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Preseli Pembrokeshire BBC Election - Preseli Pembrokeshire
- "Election Data 2005". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 2001". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Election Data 1997". Electoral Calculus. Archived from the original on 15 October 2011. Retrieved 18 October 2015.