Presentation of Mary Academy
|Presentation of Mary Academy|
209 Lawrence Street
|Religious affiliation(s)||Roman Catholic|
|Founder||Sisters of the Presentation of Mary|
|Head of school||Rose Maria Redman|
|Color(s)||Blue and White|
|Athletics conference||Commonwealth Athletic Conference|
|Accreditation||New England Association of Schools and Colleges|
|Newspaper||The Panther Press|
|Admissions Director||Jane Danahy Foss|
|Athletic Director||Stephen Stankus|
The school was founded in 1958. The Academy, located at 209 Lawrence St, is situated on a 22-acre campus formerly known as the Edward F. Searles Estate. In 2008, the school celebrated its 50th anniversary. In October 2016, the estate was opened up for public tours. This was the first time this has ever been done.
October 2017 threat scare
On the afternoon of October 4, 2017, threatening messages were discovered written on a school wall by a student after school hours. This prompted a massive police response and a 1 hour delay of classes the following day, October 5th. Additionally, all students arriving to school on October 5th were required to walk through a metal detector and to have their bags scanned by a computerized program. Police presence remained active throughout the school day on October 5th and many extra safety measures were taken. By the afternoon of October 5th, the Methuen Police Chief as well as the Head of School had announced that there was no longer any imminent threat and that school would proceed as normal the following day.
In the late evening hours of October 5th, police reported that a student had confessed to writing the threatening messages on the school wall. Police also confirmed the following day, October 6th, that a juvenile felony charge would be filed against the student in question, who has not yet been identified by authorities.
Notes and references
- NEASC-CIS. "NEASC-Commission on Independent Schools". Archived from the original on 2009-06-16. Retrieved 2009-07-28.
- The Eagle Tribune. "Police investigate threat at Presentation of Mary Academy in Methuen". Retrieved 2017-10-05.
- CBS Boston. "Clases delayed at Methuen school after threat". Retrieved 2017-10-05.
- NECN. "Mass. School Increases Security After Serious Threats Found on Wall". Retrieved 2017-10-05.
- WCVB News. "Juvenile charged with making threats against school". Retrieved 2017-10-06.
|This Massachusetts school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|