From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
|This disambiguation page is currently linked from a large number of articles. Please help direct these ambiguous links to articles dealing with the specific meaning intended. Dab Fix List & Dab Solver can be used to fix these links. (September 2016)|
|Look up preservation in Wiktionary, the free dictionary.|
Preservation or preservationist may refer to:
- Conservation-restoration of cultural heritage
- Environmental protection
- Conservation (ethic) of the natural environment
- Conservation biology
- Environmental preservation: while the natural environment conservationist movements preserve ecosystems and the natural environment, this movement is widely known as conservation or environmentalism. A key difference between the Preservationist and Conservationist environmentalist schools is this: Preservationists view the environment as having intrinsic value that should be preserved by making as little change to it as possible. Conservationists view the environment as having instrumental value that can be of help to people, and generally accept Gifford Pinchot's notion of sustainable yield: that man can harvest some forest or animal products from a natural environment on a regular basis without compromising the long-health of the ecosystem.
- Digital preservation of digitized and born-digital information
- Self-preservation, part of an animal's fundamental instinct which demands that the organism survive
- Preservationism has been defined by Richard Heinberg in his book Powerdown: Options and Actions for a Post-Carbon World as distinguishing survivalist groups who wish merely to survive a collapse of civilization from preservationist communities who wish to preserve as much of human culture as is possible in the event of collapse. The idea of preservationist communities is part of a broader strategy in which individuals achieve independence from the centralized power grid, forming sustainable communities that could provide mutual support in the event of critical depletion of non-renewable resources.
In safety and technology:
- Dust resistant
- Fire resistant
- Preservative, chemical to hinder deterioration of food, wood, etc.
- Thermal resistant
- Impact resistant
In mathematics and computer science:
- Type preservation
- Case preservation, when computer storage preserves the distinction between upper and lower case
In arts and entertainment:
- Preservation Hall, jazz venue in New Orleans, Louisiana
- Preservation: Acts 1 & 2, albums by The Kinks
- "Preservation" (song), a non-album single released by The Kinks after the Preservation albums
- Preservation (2003 film), a 2003 Australian film
- Preservation (2014 film), a 2014 horror thriller film
- Assurance (theology), an aspect of Salvation
- Preservation (magazine), published by the National Trust for Historic Preservation
- Conservation (disambiguation)
- Heritage (disambiguation)
- Preserve (disambiguation)
- Protection (disambiguation)
|This disambiguation page lists articles associated with the title Preservation.
If an internal link led you here, you may wish to change the link to point directly to the intended article.