Presidency of the International Criminal Court
|President of the
International Criminal Court
|Appointer||Judges of the ICC|
|Term length||Three years
|Constituting instrument||Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court|
|First holder||Philippe Kirsch|
The Presidency of the International Criminal Court is the organ responsible for the proper administration of the Court (apart from the Office of the Prosecutor). The Presidency oversees the activities of the Registry and organises the work of the judicial divisions. It also has some responsibilities in the area of external relations, such as negotiating agreements on behalf of the court and promoting public awareness and understanding of the institution.
The Presidency comprises the President and the First and Second Vice-Presidents — three judges of the court who are elected to the Presidency by their fellow judges for a maximum of two three-year terms.
|President||First Vice-President||Second Vice-President|
|2003–2006||Philippe Kirsch||2003–2006||Akua Kuenyehia||2003–2006||Elizabeth Odio Benito|
|2009–2012||Sang-Hyun Song||2009–2012||Fatoumata Dembele Diarra||2009–2012||Hans-Peter Kaul|
|2012-2015||2012–2015||Sanji Mmasenono Monageng||2012–2015||Cuno Tarfusser|
|since 2015||Silvia Fernández de Gurmendi||since 2015||Joyce Aluoch||since 2015||Kuniko Ozaki|
- The Presidency.
- International Criminal Court (11 March 2009). Judge Song (Republic of Korea) elected President of the International Criminal Court; Judges Diarra (Mali) and Kaul (Germany) elected First and Second Vice-Presidents respectively. Accessed 11 March 2009.
- Article 38 of the Rome Statute. Accessed 21 July 2007.
- Judge Fernández de Gurmendi elected ICC President for 2015-2018; Judges Aluoch and Ozaki elected First and Second Vice-President respectively. ICC press release. 11 March 2015. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- ICC information page on Judge Kuenyehia. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- ICC information page on Judge Odio Benito. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- ICC information page on Judge Blattmann. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- ICC information page on Judge Song. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- ICC information page on Judge Diarra. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- ICC information page on Judge Kaul. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- ICC press release on election of judges. Retrieved 11 March 2012.