President Quirino, Sultan Kudarat
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Nickname(s): Muscovado Capital of the Philippines and Banana Capital of Sultan Kudarat|
|Motto: President Quirino! Ating Pahalagahan! One Heart, One President Quirino!|
Map of Sultan Kudarat with President Quirino highlighted
|Region||SOCCSKSARGEN (Region XII)|
|District||1st district of Sultan Kudarat|
|Established||November 22, 1973|
|• Mayor||Azel V. Mangudadatu|
|• Total||208.40 km2 (80.46 sq mi)|
|• Density||190/km2 (480/sq mi)|
|Time zone||PST (UTC+8)|
President Quirino (Filipino: Bayan ng President Quirino; Hiligaynon: Banwa sang President Quirino; Ilocano: Munisipalidad ti President Quirino) is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Sultan Kudarat, Philippines. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 38,753 people.
The town was originally called Sambulawan, from the Maguindanaoan term bayawa, meaning "calm". After President Elpidio Quirino visited the town, the town officials changed the name from Sambuyawan to President Quirino in his honor. Formerly part of the Municipality of Buluan, Maguindanao, as Barangay Bayawa, Pres. Quirino was created into a separate municipality on November 22, 1973.
President Quirino is located at the center of Central Mindanao. It is 110 kilometres (68 mi) from General Santos City, 108 kilometres (67 mi) from Cotabato City, and 248 kilometres (154 mi) from Davao City. It is situated at the crossroads of the Davao-Gen. Santos-Cotabato highways.
In the northern part is the municipality of General Salipada K. Pendatun, Maguindanao, in the eastern part is municipality of Buluan, Maguindanao, in the western part is the city of Tacurong and the southern part is the municipality of Tantangan, South Cotabato , in south-eastern part is municipality of Lutayan and Mangudadatu.
President Quirino is a vast plain municipality having one barangay (Estrella) extending to the lakeside of the famous Buluan Lake. It has four existing types of soil namely; tinambulan peat, Banga sandy loam, Lutayan clay, and hydrosol.
- Central Mangilala
- Kalanawi I
- Kalanawi II
- Poblacion (Sambulawan)
- San Jose
- Tual (Liguasan)
- Tuato (San Pedro)
|Population census of President Quirino|
|Source: National Statistics Office|
People speak Tagalog, Cebuano, Ilocano and Hiligaynon. Most of the residents came from Pangasinan, Ilocos Sur and National Capital Region, with significant settlers from Iloilo and Negros. Indigenous people such as Blaan, Manobo and T'boli can be founded in Barangay Bagumbayan, Manobo can be found on Barangay Kalanawe I and Barangay Tinaungan, Blaan from Barangay San Jose and Islam or Muslim on Barangay Bayawa as the barangay is near to the Municipality of Buluan which is from the province of Maguindanao.
President Quirino is the one of the economic and agricultural town in the Philippines, some of this is selling "sukang tuba at tubo" or vinegar of the coconut/sugarcane. And one of this is the finest "muscovado", is a type of partially refined to unrefined brown sugar with a strong molasses content and flavour.
Small-scale industries include electronics and repair shop, car/motor vehicle body builder/repair shop, vulcanizing and machine shop, shoe and appliance repair shops hollow blocks/culvert making basket/mat weaving, dressmaking/tailoring, balut making, bakery. Other major industries is the rattan making, Banana, Coconut, Palay, Corn and African Palm Oils. People doing an corn -drying process, rice milling and other milling process, are found in the poblacion or in central town.
- Lake Buluan ( Municipality of Buluan, Maguindanao) - located at Barangay Estrella and Southern Bayawa, 10-15 kilometer from the town proper. The tilapia, bangus and mudfish are one of finest catch of the people.
- African Palm Oil Plantation - President Quirino and other municipality/city in SultanKudarat exports and imports the African Palm Oil to the different places especially here in the Philippines, and other major cities. It has different African palm plantations in barangays of the beloved town.
- Our Lady of Guadalupe Parish - the only main parish associated by Archdiocese of Cotabato. Most attracted spot of people doing spirituality and devotions of Catholics.
- The "Kuliglig" Transportation - this kind of transportation bringing a good abundance and main attraction in the province. It can carry tons of crops, woods and furnitures. Kuliglig is the one of the best provincial transports, an open-type, also can carry 10–20 people, only a machine can operate this kuliglig transportation.
Sambuyawan Festival and Tagapulot Festival
Celebrate every third week of November giving the way to explore more cultures and tribe of their nationality. Band, Street Dancing and Mini carnivals and also a tyangee offers and entering to the Municipality to explore more goods about the place. It is the foundation anniversary of the town remembering the birth of President Elpidio Quirino. Sambuyawan Festival is also part of memories and remembrance of the town's purity and cleanliness on the town's heart.
Muscovado / Tagapulot Festival
The Muscovado Festival is celebrated every December 12, it is the tradition of celebrating by the town's economy Muscovado that processed in the wide farms in the town. So the first festival was held on December 12, 2014 by expressing the culture and traditions of the Town's growing economy. Some events are: Paligsahan ng Bahay Kubo, Muscovado Cooking Contest, Misa Pasasalamat, Mr. and Ms. Muscovado, Bazaar and Historic Showcases, Makulay na Pagpaparada and Lots of Colorful and Fruitful Celebration of the Muscovado Festival.
Transportation and communications
President Quirino has no one any public and integrated terminals yet, but the town has a mini tricycle terminal to travel around the province of Sultan Kudarat, the habal-habal motor on the way to serve in Municipalities of Buluan, and Datu Paglas, Maguindanao. But now, they preparing for building the new terminal to found at the town market.
If the President Quirino - Tantangan provincial road will be fully constructed, it will take a 15 minutes roadtrip to municipality of Tantangan reaching the barangay of Suben and Central Mangilala up to the Barangay Mangilala of Tantangan, South Cotabato. It will also serve as the shortcut of the Bus Terminals, Van and Public vehicle soon as completed.
The municipality has 3 communicating tower like a PLDT Tower, Smart Tower, Sun Cellular and Globe Communications Tower links the main communication of the municipality.
It is located at Barangay Poblacionn.
- Pres. Quirino Wesleyan Learning Center
- Pres. Quirino Treasured Child School
- Pres. Quirino Central Elementary School
- Pres. Quirino National High School
- Lamasan Primary School
- Bagumbayan Elementary School
- Bannawag Elementary School
- Bayawa Elementary School
- Estrella Elementary School
- Kalanawe 1 Elementary School
- Kalanawe 2 Elementary School
- Kalanawe 2 High School
- Katico Central Elementary School
- Malingon Elementary School
- Mangelen Elementary School
- Central Mangilala Elementary School
- Pedtubo Elementary School
- Romualdez Elementary School
- Suben Elementary School
- Tinaungan Elementary School
- Tuato Elementary School
- Saint Augustine High School of Bannawag
- Sulop, Davao del Sur Philippines
- Tagum City, Davao del Norte Philippines
- President Roxas, Cotabato Philippines
- Lake Sebu, South Cotabato Philippines
- "Official City/Municipal 2013 Election Results". Intramuros, Manila, Philippines: Commission on Elections (COMELEC). 1 July 2013. Retrieved 5 September 2013.
- "Province: Sultan Kudarat". PSGC Interactive. Makati City, Philippines: National Statistical Coordination Board. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- "Total Population by Province, City, Municipality and Barangay: as of May 1, 2010" (PDF). 2010 Census of Population and Housing. National Statistics Office. Retrieved 27 May 2014.
- Philippine Standard Geographic Code
- Philippine Census Information
- Local Governance Performance Management System
||Gen. S. K. Pendatun, Maguindanao|
|Tantangan, South Cotabato||Lutayan|