President of Mongolia
|President of Mongolia|
|Status||Head of State|
|Nominator||State Great Khural|
Political parties with representation nominate candidates
|Appointer||Popular vote by the citizens of Mongolia|
|Term length||Six years|
|Constituting instrument||Constitution of Mongolia|
|Inaugural holder||Punsalmaagiin Ochirbat|
|Formation||3 September 1990|
|Salary||11,620 USD annually|
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
The current incumbent is Khaltmaagiin Battulga.
The president is elected by the citizens of Mongolia. Political parties with representation in the State Great Khural nominate candidates. The president serves a non-repeatable four-year term. The president can be removed from office if two-thirds of the Khural find him guilty of abusing his powers or violating his oath. Before inauguration, however, the president-elect must suspend their membership of any political party.
Powers of the president
- Nominating a candidate for the office of Prime Minister, who is then approved or rejected by the State Great Khural (parliament). This is a ceremonial responsibility, as the Khural will most likely reject any nominee who is not its own choice – in effect, the prime minister is appointed by the Khural.
- Vetoing the Khural's legislation (can be overridden with a two-thirds majority)
- Approving judicial appointments
- Appointing the chief judge of the Supreme Court of Mongolia
- Chairing the National Security Council of Mongolia
- Acting as commander-in-chief of the armed forces.
- Nominates the prosecutor general, the official in charge of implementing the laws, who is then approved or rejected by the Khural.
- Provides guidelines for the activities of the Government.
List of presidents (since 1990)
|Elected||Term of office||Party|
(79 years old)
|—||3 September 1990||6 June 1993||People's Revolutionary Party|
|1993||6 June 1993||20 June 1997||Social Democratic Party|
(70 years old)
|1997||20 June 1997||6 June 2001||People's Revolutionary Party|
|2001||6 June 2001||24 June 2005|
(62 years old)
|2005||24 June 2005||18 June 2009||People's Revolutionary Party|
(57 years old)
|2009||18 June 2009||10 July 2013||Democratic Party|
|2013||10 July 2013||10 July 2017|
(57 years old)
|2017||10 July 2017||Incumbent||Democratic Party|
Living former presidents
There are four living former Mongolian presidents:
- "Төрийн тэргүүнүүдийн ЦАЛИН хэд байдаг вэ". time.mn.
- Montsame News Agency. Mongolia. 2006, ISBN 99929-0-627-8, p. 42
- Montsame News Agency. Mongolia. 2006, ISBN 99929-0-627-8, p. 43
- Montsame News Agency. Mongolia. 2006, Montsame News Agency Foreign Service Office, ISBN 99929-0-627-8, p. 45
- Montsame News Agency. Mongolia. 2006, Foreign Service office of Montsame News Agency, ISBN 99929-0-627-8, p. 44