President of the Federal Senate (Brazil)
|President of the Brazilian Senate|
|Appointer||Elected by the Federal Senate|
|Constituting instrument||Constitution of Brazil|
|Inaugural holder||José Egídio Álvares de Almeida|
|Succession||Third in the Brazilian presidential line of succession|
In addition to chairing the chamber's debates and ordering its business, the President of the Federal Senate stands third in the order of presidential succession, after the Vice-President of the Republic and the President of the Chamber of Deputies, but before the President (Chief Justice) of the Supreme Federal Court. The Federal Senate President is also a member of the Council of the Republic, and presides over joint sessions of the Legislative branch, in his capacity as ex officio President of the National Congress. Until 25 August 1961, this Position was held ex officio by the Vice-President of the Republic.
List of Presidents of the Senate
Brazilian Empire (1826-1889)
Federal Republic of Brazil
- Constitution of 5 October 1988, Art. 80. http://www.planalto.gov.br/ccivil_03/Constituicao/Constituiçao.htm
- Constitution, Art. 89.
- "Império (1826-1889) - Senado Federal". www25.senado.leg.br.
- "República Velha (1889 - 1930) - Senado Federal". www25.senado.leg.br.
- "Pós-1930 - Senado Federal". www25.senado.leg.br.
- "Pós-1964 - Senado Federal". www25.senado.leg.br.
- "Nova República - Senado Federal". www25.senado.leg.br.