Presque Isle Downs
|Presque Isle Downs|
|Location||Summit Township, Erie County, near Erie, PA (USA)|
|Address||8199 Perry Highway
Erie, Pennsylvania 16509
|Opening date||February 28, 2007|
|Total gaming space||48,074 sq ft (4,466.2 m2)|
|Signature attractions||Thoroughbred racetrack|
|Notable restaurants||La Bonne Vie
Downs Clubhouse & Lounge
The developer, MTR Gaming Group, broke ground in October 2005 for its new facility, which opened on February 28, 2007. It contains 2,000 slot machines. The 1 mile (1.6 km) oval track opened on September 2, 2007. It is paved with the synthetic material Tapeta Footings (a mixture of sand, rubber, fiber with a wax coating). It's the first synthetic horse racetrack that is longer than 1 mile (2 km) in the Northeast and the first racetrack paved with Tapeta in the United States. Simulcasting was transferred from its former upper Peach Street location and became operational in August 2007.
Some of the races at Presque Isle Downs include:
- Presque Isle Downs Masters Stakes, Grade II 
- Presque Isle Mile
- Tom Ridge Stakes
- Satin and Lace Stakes
- Karl Boyes Memorial Stakes
- The HPBA Stakes
- Fitz Dixon, JR. Memorial Juvenile Stakes
Gaming revenue is split between the operator (45%) and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania (55%), the latter of which will use the funds for property tax relief, economic development and tourism, and the horse racing industry. Revenue from table games goes to the state's general fund and the local government. Presque Isle Downs & Casino now operates table games, along with 2,000 slot machines.
- Ron Mullis (2008–present)
- Katie Mikolay (2008–2014)
- Guerriero, John (2007-09-01). "And...They're off". Erie Times-News. Retrieved 2007-09-03.
- Guerriero, John (2007-07-07). "Numbers Down a Bit, But Hopes Still High". Erie Times-News. pp. 1A, 7A.
- Blood Horse: 2011 Graded Stakes: 13 Fewer Than '10