|Founder||Bruno Lévêque, Igor Schlumberger|
|Alexandre Eruimy, CEO|
|Products||Webshop, e-commerce solution|
PrestaShop is a freemium, open source e-commerce solution. The software is published under the Open Software License (OSL). It is written in the PHP programming language with support for the MySQL database management system.
PrestaShop is currently used by 250,000 shops worldwide and is available in 60 different languages.
PrestaShop started in 2005 as a student project within the EPITECH IT School in Paris, France. Originally named phpOpenStore, the software was first available in two languages: English and French. Three months after its launch the project was translated in thirteen languages.
The company, PrestaShop SA, was founded in 2007 by Igor Schlumberger and Bruno Lévêque.
Between May 2010 and April 2012, PrestaShop grew from 17 employees to more than a hundred, with the establishment of secondary headquarters in Miami. As of April 2016, PrestaShop has over 120 employees and offices in 6 countries.
In March 2014, PrestaShop SA secured $9.3M in Series B Funding to continue its global expansion efforts.
According to technology tracking website BuiltWith.com, the market share of PrestaShop for open-source e-commerce websites is 9%. According to W3Techs, PrestaShop is used by 0.5% of all websites.
As an open-source organization, PrestaShop is faced with the challenge of generating revenues. By leveraging the size and international scope of its open-source community, the company established two main sources of revenue:
- PrestaShop Addons, a marketplace through which merchants purchase custom addons and themes for their stores
- Strategic partnerships with e-commerce industry leaders such as PayPal or Google
PrestaShop has more than three hundred built-in features for managing product listing, payments, shipping, manufacturers and suppliers. PrestaShop uses a web template system which allows users to customize store themes and add new features through add-on modules. The PrestaShop Addons marketplace provides a platform for third-party developers to sell themes and modules to merchants.
PrestaShop provides a basic responsive theme by default. Users can install or develop their own themes which change the display of the website without altering its content.
Add-on modules extend the software's built-in functionalities. Users may install modules directly within the software administration panel or develop their own.
- "Internationalization and Open Source drive Growth for PrestaShop". PrestaShop. 2016-10-13. Retrieved 2017-11-28.
- "About PrestaShop". PrestaShop.
- "PrestaShop Opens First U.S. Office & Creates 85 Jobs in Miami".
- "PrestaShop's female CEO tells all - Interview with Corinne Lejbowicz, CEO of PrestaShop". HostAdvice. April 14, 2016.
- "PrestaShop raises $9.3M in Series B Funding".
- "PrestaShop disrupts the ecommerce market with the industry's first free cloud software for merchants". PrestaShop.
- "Statistics for websites using Open Source technologies". BuiltWith.
- "Usage statistics and market share of PrestaShop for websites". W3Techs.
- "E-commerce Industry Partners". PrestaShop.