Claiborne with the New York Yankees
Miami Marlins – No. 54
January 21, 1988 |
|May 5, 2013 for the New York Yankees|
(through 2014 season)
|Earned run average||3.79|
Preston Michael Claiborne (born January 21, 1988) is an American professional baseball pitcher for the Miami Marlins of Major League Baseball (MLB). He made his MLB debut on May 5, 2013 and played with the New York Yankees in 2013 and 2014. He previously attended Tulane University, where he played college baseball for the Tulane Green Wave.
Claiborne attended Newman Smith High School in Carrollton, Texas, where he played for the school's baseball team. Selected in the 23rd round of the 2006 Major League Baseball Draft by the Pittsburgh Pirates, Claiborne did not sign, opting to attend Tulane University to play for the Tulane Green Wave baseball team. At Tulane, he was used as a relief pitcher, appearing in a total of 84 games from 2007 through 2010.
New York Yankees
The New York Yankees selected Claiborne in the 17th round of the 2010 Major League Baseball Draft. He signed and reported to the Staten Island Yankees of the Class A-Short Season New York-Penn League. He was promoted to the Tampa Yankees of the Class A-Advanced Florida State League that year, in time to pitch for Tampa in the league's playoffs. He returned to Tampa in 2011.
Claiborne started the 2012 season with the Trenton Thunder of the Class AA Eastern League, and made 20 appearances for the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre Yankees of the Class AAA International League that year.
Claiborne began the 2013 season with the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders, and was called up to the majors for the first time on May 3, 2013, when the Yankees placed Joba Chamberlain on the disabled list. He made his major league debut on May 5, 2013, against the Oakland Athletics. During his debut, he pitched two scoreless innings without allowing a baserunner.
Claiborne was optioned down to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre on August 16, 2013. He was then recalled to be the 26th player for a doubleheader against the Toronto Blue Jays on August 20 but was optioned back to Scranton/Wilkes-Barre right after the second game. However he was brought back up on August 22 when infielder Jayson Nix was placed on the disabled list.
Claiborne was optioned back to Triple-A on August 26 when the Yankees activated Derek Jeter from the disabled list. He was then brought back up to the Yankees on September 2 after the rosters expanded on September 1, 2013. The Yankees designated Claiborne for assignment on December 19, 2014.
The first time Preston Claiborne attended a baseball game, which featured the visiting Yankees playing the Texas Rangers, his father encouraged him to play with the "class and respect" of a Yankee. His father died of a stroke during Claiborne's sophomore year at Tulane. He contributes to a website, TheCupCheck.com, which is run by minor league baseball players to give other minor leaguers tips on how to handle life in professional baseball. The Wall Street Journal called Claiborne "one of the site's most prolific contributors."
- Sherrington, Kevin (June 22, 2010). "Preston Claiborne's dad wanted him to act like a Yankee and now he is one". SportsDayDFW. Dallasnews.com. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- "Ex-Tulane Pitcher Claiborne Gets Promotion to Yankees". Sportsnola.com. May 2, 2013. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- "Claiborne Becomes Second Player Drafted by New York Yankees in 2010 Draft". Tulanegreenwave.com. June 8, 2010. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- Raskin, Alex. "Yankees strike first in FSL Finals". Milb.com. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- "Looks like Claiborne will be called up from Triple-A". The LoHud Yankees Blog. December 1, 2006. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- "Yankees will call-up Preston Caliborne on Friday". Riveraveblues.com. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- Greenberg, Jay (May 5, 2013). "Aside from game's outcome, Claiborne's debut perfect". MLB.com. Retrieved May 6, 2013.
- "Preston Claiborne Shipped Out, Mark Reynolds Arrives". August 16, 2013. Retrieved August 20, 2013.
- "Claiborne returns to Yanks, replaces Nix on roster". MLB.com. August 22, 2013.
- "Yankees activate Jeter". The Sacramento Bee. August 26, 2013.
- "Yanks bolster 'pen with trio of callups, one more on way". MLB.com. September 1, 2013.
- "Yankees get reliever Gonzalez Germen from Mets". Washington Post. Retrieved December 23, 2014.
- "Marlins Claim Preston Claiborne From Yankees". MLB Trade Rumors. Retrieved December 23, 2014.
- Barbarisi, Daniel (March 21, 2013). "A How-To Guide for Surviving Life in the Minor Leagues". Wall Street Journal. Dow Jones & Company. Retrieved May 3, 2013.
- Career statistics and player information from MLB, or ESPN, or Baseball-Reference, or Fangraphs, or The Baseball Cube, or Baseball-Reference (Minors)
- Tulane Green Wave bio
- Preston Claiborne on Twitter