Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Ranjith Sankar|
|Written by||Ranjith Sankar|
Sharaf U Dheen
|Music by||Anand Madhusoodanan|
Dreams N Beyond
Fox Star Studios
|Box office||est. 12.45 crore |
Pretham (English: Ghost) is a 2016 Indian Malayalam comedy horror film written, co-produced and directed by Ranjith Sankar. Starring Jayasurya, Aju Varghese, Shruthi Ramachandran, Pearle maaney and Sharaf U Dheen in the lead roles. It is co-produced by Sankar and Jayasurya.The film was a blockbuster hit and in 2018 a sequel has been announced.
It was remade in Telugu under the title Raju Gari Gadhi 2. It is also the third collaboration of Sankar and Jayasurya after Punyalan Agarbattis and Su.. Su... Sudhi Vathmeekam. Principal photography began in Cherai, Ernakulam on 24 May 2016. The film released on 12 August 2016.
Three young men — Denny Kokken (Aju Varghese), Priyalal (Sharaf U Dheen), and Shibu Majeed (Govind Padmasoorya) have been friends since college. Together, they work till they hit their 30s and starts their own business that they can enjoy in a semi-retired manner. They get together and invest all their money in a resort in Kerala. However, their happy beginning is thwarted by paranormal activities and they approach John Don Bosco (Jayasurya), a psychic who works as a mentalist in cruise ships and entertainment industry. John Don Bosco also assists the police as a human lie detector with his cold reading techniques.
John informs the three hoteliers that their resort is haunted by a ghost who is seeking answers as to who killed her, why was she killed and what did they gain from her death. Through his investigations John reveals that the ghost is of Clara who was a bright and intelligent student from National Law College. Amrita (Devan's daughter) was jealous of clara's popularity and the fondness of her father towards Clara. Amrita secretly films Clara's nude scenes while bathing (in the same resort owned by the three hoteliers) and leaks it online.Unable to bear the shame, Clara commits suicide.
- Jayasurya as John Don Bosco, a Mentalist
- Aju Varghese as Denny Kokken
- Sharaf U Dheen as Priyalal
- Govind Padmasoorya as Shibu Majeed
- Sharanya Menon as Amritha
- Shruthi Ramachandran as Clara
- Pearle Maaney as Suhaanisa
- Dharmajan Bolgatty as Yeshu
- Sunil Sukhada
- Sathi Premji as Mary a.k.a. Dakini
- Hareesh Peradi as Priest
- Devan as Principal of National Law College
- Vijay Babu as Commissioner of Police
- Nyla Usha as Maya
- Arya Rohit as Shalini
In 2000, Ranjith Sankar wrote the script for the TV serial, Nizhalukal, "probably the first horror serial" to premiere on Malayalam television. Citing it as an inspiration for the film, he said, "(I) have thought of umpteen subjects to explore the genre in movies all these years before arriving on this. Pretham is a horror comedy," on his Facebook profile.
Jayasurya played a Mentalist named John Don Bosco alongside Shruthi Ramachandran and Pearle Maaney. Initially Mamta Mohandas was considered for the lead role but didn't materialize. Justin Jose, known for his work in the Telugu film Baahubali: The Beginning and the Bollywood film Bajrangi Bhaijaan, did the sound design. The filming began on 24 May 2016 in the small town in Cherai in Ernakulam.
- Oruthikku Pinnil - Vineeth Sreenivasan
Pretham was released on 12 August 2016.
There was over 30% hike in collection from day 1 to day 2 at the Kerala box office. The film grossed ₹2.67 crore in 3 days run. It remained in more than 80 screens in Kerala in its third week. The film grossed ₹12.45 crore in 23 days at the Kerala box office. The film collected $2,804 from UK box office. The film collected ₹25.41 lakh (US$38,000) from USA box office in its third weekend. The film was commercial success.
- James, Anu (6 September 2016). "Kerala box office: 'Pretham' becomes biggest solo blockbuster of Jayasurya". International Business Times. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- Somani, Deepa (25 May 2016), "Jayasurya ropes in Shruti Ramachandran for Pretham", The Times of India, retrieved 30 May 2016
- James, Anu (4 February 2016), "Jayasurya and Ranjith Sankar announce their next horror comedy 'Pretham'", International Business Times, retrieved 30 May 2016
- 'Pretham' begins filming, IndiaGlitz, 25 May 2016, retrieved 30 May 2016
- "Full Cast & Crew". 2017-09-03. Retrieved 2017-09-03.
- James, Anu (16 August 2016). "Kerala box office: Jayasurya's 'Pretham' and 'IDI' cross Rs. 2 crore mark in 3 days". International Business Times. Retrieved 17 August 2016.
- James, Anu (30 August 2016). "Kerala box office: Jayasurya's 'Pretham' enters Rs. 10 crore club". International Business Times. Retrieved 19 November 2016.
- "Pretham". Box Office Mojo. 18 September 2016.
- "'Pink' collects 6.55 crores in the overseas markets". Bollywood Hungama. 20 September 2016.
- "Jayasurya, Ranjith Sankar join hands for their next 'Njan Marykutty'". The Indian Express. 11 January 2018.