Prevention Point Philadelphia
|Purpose||To reduce the harm associated with substance use and sex industry work.|
|Website||Prevention Point Philadelphia|
Prevention Point Philadelphia (PPP) is the only syringe exchange program in Philadelphia and Eastern Pennsylvania. Prevention Point Pittsburgh is the only other syringe exchange program in the state. The two organizations are not affiliated.
Prevention Point Philadelphia provides harm reduction counseling, syringe exchange, free medical care, support and education groups, and referrals to social services and drug treatment. The organization distributes syringes six days a week. Locations include the main office in Kensington, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and five sites served by a mobile unit.
To reduce the harm associated with substance use and sex industry work by promoting health, empowerment and safety while advocating for humane public policies and programs.
Prevention Point Philadelphia was founded in 1991 by a group of ACT UP Philadelphia activists in response to the HIV & AIDS epidemic. That year, injected drug use was the most common risk category for people being diagnosed with HIV infection. At the time, it was illegal to distribute syringes/needles in Pennsylvania, and the activists risked jail time for their work.
Under increasing pressure to respond to the growing epidemic, Mayor Ed Rendell issued an executive order on July 27, 1992 authorizing the legal distribution of syringes, and establishment of a citywide institution to manage the program. That program became Prevention Point Philadelphia.
- Sterile syringe exchange
- Overdose prevention program
- Stabilization, Treatment and Engagement Program (STEP)
- Computer Lab
- North American Syringe Exchange Network. Reviewed June 25, 2012.
- Greater Philadelphia AIDS Resource Guide 2012, published by Philadelphia FIGHT, page 80
- PPP Syringe Exchange Calendar Archived 2013-04-15 at Archive.is. Reviewed: June 25, 2012.
- Prevention Point Philadelphia Homepage. Reviewed May 4, 2013.
- Executive Order No. 4-92 Archived 2016-03-03 at the Wayback Machine.. July 27, 1992.
- PPP Syringe Exchange Program[permanent dead link]. Reviewed: May 4, 2013.
- PPP Overdose Prevention Program Archived 2013-09-30 at the Wayback Machine.. Reviewed: May 4, 2013.
- PPP STEP Program Archived 2013-09-30 at the Wayback Machine.. Reviewed: May 4, 2013.
- PPP Computer Lab Archived 2013-09-30 at the Wayback Machine.. Reviewed: May 4, 2013