Prevention of Corruption Act 1906
|Long title||An Act for the better Prevention of Corruption.|
|Citation||6 Edw.7 c.34|
|Territorial extent||England and Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Republic of Ireland|
|Royal Assent||4 August 1906|
|Text of the Prevention of Corruption Act 1906 as in force today (including any amendments) within the United Kingdom, from the UK Statute Law Database|
The Prevention of Corruption Act 1906 (6 Edw.7 c.34) was an Act of the Parliament of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland (as it was then). It is one of the Prevention of Corruption Acts 1889 to 1916.
Section 1 makes it an offence (formerly classified as a misdemeanour) subject to imprisonment up to 7 years:
- for an agent to obtain a consideration as an inducement or reward for doing any act, or showing favour or disfavour to any person, in relation to his principal's affairs.
- for any person to give a consideration to an agent to induce him to do an act in relation to his principal's affairs.
- for any person or agent to knowingly falsify receipts, accounts or other documents with the intent to deceive the principal.
Agent and principal
An "agent" includes any person employed by or acting for another, and a "principal" includes an employer.
The "principal" is the person the agent is employed by or acting for.
Anyone working for the government counts as an agent. (s.1(3))
In 2002, Part 12 of the Anti-terrorism, Crime and Security Act 2001 extended this law for England, Wales and Northern Ireland internationally so that it could be exercised in cases where the agent and the principal had no connection with the UK. An equivalent change was made for Scotland by the Criminal Justice (Scotland) Act 2003.
A prosecution in England and Wales for an offence under this Act cannot be instituted without the consent of the Attorney-General, who can discontinue an investigation that is working towards a prosecution under the Act.
- This short title was conferred by section 4(1).
- The Prevention of Corruption Act 1906, section 1(2)
- The Prevention of Corruption Act 1906, section 2(1)
- Text of the Prevention of Corruption Act 1906 as in force today (including any amendments) within the United Kingdom, from the UK Statute Law Database
- The Prevention of Corruption Act 1906, as amended and in force today, from the Office of Public Sector Information.
- List of amendments to this Act in the Republic of Ireland, from the Irish Statute Book.
|This legislation in the United Kingdom, or its constituent jurisdictions article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|