|This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Preventive maintenance (PM) has the following meanings:
- The care and servicing by personnel for the purpose of maintaining equipment in satisfactory operating condition by providing for systematic inspection, detection, and correction of incipient failures either before they occur or before they develop into major defects.
- Preventive maintenance tends to follow planned guidelines from time-to-time to prevent equipment and machinery breakdown
- The work carried out on equipment in order to avoid its breakdown or malfunction. It is a regular and routine action taken on equipment in order to prevent its breakdown.
- Maintenance, including tests, measurements, adjustments, parts replacement, and cleaning, performed specifically to prevent faults from occurring.
The primary goal of maintenance is to avoid or mitigate the consequences of failure of equipment. This may be by preventing the failure before it actually occurs which Planned Maintenance and Condition Based Maintenance help to achieve. It is designed to preserve and restore equipment reliability by replacing worn components before they actually fail. Preventive maintenance activities include partial or complete overhauls at specified periods, oil changes, lubrication, minor adjustments, and so on. In addition, workers can record equipment deterioration so they know to replace or repair worn parts before they cause system failure. The ideal preventive maintenance program would prevent all equipment failure before it occurs.
Preventive maintenance for various equipment and facilities is quite nuanced. For instance, maintaining certain equipment may include a "preventive maintenance checklist" which includes small checks which can significantly extend service life. Furthermore, other considerations such as weather and equipment are taken into account; for instance, in the case of HVAC systems, maintenance is often performed before the hottest time of the year.
- Reliability centered maintenance
- Corrective maintenance
- Operational maintenance
- Department of Defense Dictionary of Military and Associated Terms
- Predictive maintenance
- Value-driven maintenance
- Olakotan, O.O. (2015). Unpublished Basic Technology lecture note on Maintenance
- Bamiro O.A., Nzediegwu D., Oladejo K.A, Rahaman A & Adebayo A (2011). Mastery of Technology for junior school certificate examination.Ibadan: Evans Brothers (Nigeria Publishers)Limited.
- "Preventive Maintenance Tips Crucial To Your Air Conditioner Performance". Chills Air Conditioning. Retrieved 10 February 2016.
- Maintenance of Hydraulic Systems
- Maj. Ricky Smith, US. "Walter Reed Building 18 - It Could Happen Anywhere - So Don't Let It Happen To You". Archived from the original on March 9, 2012.
- This article incorporates public domain material from the General Services Administration document "Federal Standard 1037C" (in support of MIL-STD-188).