|Single by Jessie J featuring B.o.B|
|from the album Who You Are|
|Released||25 January 2011|
|Recorded||2010; Conway Recording Studios (Los Angeles); Stadium Red Studios (New York City); GCR Audio (Buffalo, New York)|
|Length||3:42 (album version)
3:17 (radio edit)
|Jessie J singles chronology|
"Price Tag" is a song by English singer-songwriter Jessie J, featuring American rapper B.o.B. It was released on 25 January 2011 in the United Kingdom as the second single from Jessie J's debut studio album, Who You Are. "Price Tag" was written by Jessie J, Dr. Luke, Claude Kelly and B.o.B, and it was produced by Dr. Luke. It serves as the album's lead single in the United States. An official remix features British rapper Devlin. The song debuted at number one on the UK Singles Chart. Elsewhere, the single also topped the charts in Ireland and New Zealand, becoming Jessie J's first number-one single in all these countries and her native United Kingdom. In the United States, "Price Tag" managed to peak at number 23 on the Billboard Hot 100. Additionally, the song charted at number one in nineteen countries, becoming Jessie J's biggest hit to date. The song was also the biggest-selling collaboration of the year in the UK. At the 2012 Brit Awards, "Price Tag" was nominated for Best British Single.
Jessie J has performed the song at a number of live performances, with other singers filling in for B.o.B or his verse being completely removed. "Price Tag" received generally positive reviews from critics. The video features an oversized teddy bear, a money tree, and Jessie J as a ballerina in a large jewellery box. The single has sold 1,070,000 copies in the UK as of November 2012. The song was covered by The Wombats on BBC Radio 1's Live Lounge on 31 May 2011. In December 2011, Jessie J recorded a Christmas-themed version of the song, with an interpolation of "Jingle Bells", featuring vocals from British singer-songwriter Jan.
A 22-second sample of "Price Tag" by Jessie J, where the chorus is heard.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
"Price Tag" is an up-tempo, "feel good" track, inflected with reggae bounce and a sing-along chorus with powerful vocals from Jessie J, slinky guitars, and a vintage backbeat. The drum beat for the song is a sample taken from "Zimba Ku" by Black Heat.
According to the sheet music published at Musicnotes.com by Sony/ATV Music Publishing, "Price Tag" is written in the key of F major with a tempo of 84 beats per minute. The song is in common time, and it follows a chord progression of F–Am–Dm–B♭ (I–iii–vi–IV). Jessie's vocals span from A3 to D5.
Jessie J has been criticized by people who find the lyrics of the song hypocritical: a "rich rock star" telling the rest of us that money doesn't matter, or questioning why she then charges for her music. She has repeatedly explained in interviews that this is a misreading of her meaning, which skewers the superficiality of conspicuous consumption. "For me, so much I hear about how much money people have and how people just take stuff too seriously. It’s not me saying that you can live for free, because obviously that isn’t the case; but I’m saying that you don’t always have to let it be about that. It’s isn’t always about how much your shoes cost. It’s about the fact that you even have a pair of shoes to walk in."
The song has received positive reviews from music critics. Popjustice gave the song a positive review, saying it was a "ridiculously addictive introduction to an effortlessly great, new(ish) talent." The Guardian's Caspar Smith referred to both the song and J's previous single "Do It Like A Dude" as "planet-saving R&B-based hits-in-waiting." AOL Radio's James Wells praised the song, saying that it "shows off the tirelessly upbeat, Motown-tinged singing and songwriting for which Jessie J has become known." He went on to contrast the song from other tracks from J's debut album Who You Are, calling it less aggressive and more "about the positive vibes." Nick Levine of Digital Spy compared the song to Miley Cyrus's "Party in the U.S.A." (2009), which was co-written by Jessie J. He said, "Truth be told, 'Price Tag' does come off a little bit corny, but thanks in no small part to Jessie's spunky likability" and described it as a "sun-dappled, hip-hop-inflected midtempo head-nodder".
The song debuted at number twelve in Ireland on 4 February 2011. In the United Kingdom, the single entered at number one on the UK Singles Chart on 6 February 2011―for the week ending dated 12 February 2011―with first week sales of 84,000 copies. It became Jessie J's first number-one single on the chart. The song's charting also gave B.o.B his third number-one single in Britain. "Price Tag" has become the first single to top the UK Singles Chart after being released to radio and retail on the same day, following a new "On Air, On Sale" initiative by Universal Music. On its second week on the chart the song retained its number-one position by a margin of less than 5%, selling over 90,000 copies, preventing Lady Gaga's new single "Born This Way" and Chipmunk's "Champion" from debuting at number one. As of November 2012, the song had sold 1,070,000 copies in the UK. In the United States, the song debuted at number eighty-eight on the Billboard Hot 100 on the week of 16 March 2011 and has reached number 23. It went straight to number one in New Zealand and it debuted at number 1 Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles and peaked at number 9 on Hot Dance Club Play. It also received Radio Disney airplay, peaking at number 2 on the Top 30 Countdown for 2 weeks, behind "On My Mind" by Cody Simpson.
The music video was directed by Emil Nava and was premiered on 30 January 2011. The video begins closing up on a giant teddy bear that is missing an eye and an arm, accompanied by a musical box-rendering of Johann Strauss II's The Blue Danube, before zooming out to show a child version of Jessie J sitting next to it, who then gets up and walks around the bear, turning her into her full-sized self. Jessie J is then shown standing and holding out her hands, and as the lyrics suggest, a coconut man and a moonhead appear on her outstretched hands (this is a reference to the two individuals who co-wrote the song with her: Dr. Luke is coconut man and Kelly is moonhead in reference to his large head) and pointing to herself (referring to herself as pea because of her small head). The video then goes back to Jessie J in the lap of the large teddy bear and shows various scenes of Jessie J holding up items that relate to the lyrics, including a huge price tag and pointing to left and the right. As the chorus begins, Jessie J is shown dancing under a money tree with dollar bills covering its branches. A scene of Jessie J is then shown of her as an oversized ballerina in a jewelry box. As Jessie J says the words "video hoes", a scene of her wearing the same outfit as in her "Do It Like a Dude" video and dancing holding her crotch, suggesting that she does not approve of video hoes. Jessie J is next shown riding around on a small tricycle. As the song progresses into the second chorus, Jessie J and two background dancers are shown as marionettes, with Jessie J wearing a Pinocchio hat, dancing to the song. The video then moves to B.o.B as his verse begins, showing him dancing in front of a beat up car, that starts jumping and moving to the beat. He is then shown standing in the middle of four large, toy green army men. As his verse ends, Jessie J is shown squeezed into a doll house and holding a glass doll that is missing part of its head. As the video goes into its final chorus, scenes of Jessie J are shown her dancing with B.o.B, laying on the floor missing a leg, sitting in an oversized chair, dressed up as a doll in a blue and white dress, and dancing with her younger self. The video ends with Jessie J closing the door to her doll house; with her still inside it, the camera carries on zooming out.
Jessie J performed an acoustic version of the song on the BBC's Later... with Jools Holland. "Price Tag" was also performed at the club Scala in London on 18 January 2011, with UK rapper Devlin performing B.o.B's verse. The song was performed in the US for the first time in a New York club. She performed the song, along with a track titled "Nobody's Perfect" from her debut album, in a studio session at Maida Vale studios for MistaJam. Jessie J also performed Price Tag on The Graham Norton Show on 25 February and has also performed it on Lets Dance for Comic Relief. Jessie also performed the song (along with "Mamma Knows Best") alongside B.o.B on Saturday Night Live on 12 March 2011, making it her first performance on American television. She has also performed the song on the French X Factor and The Ellen DeGeneres Show. In 2011, she performed the song in the Times Square subway station. Also, Jessie presented the song in the 2011 MTV VMAs and 2011 MTV EMAs. She performed the song at the 2012 Summer Olympics closing ceremony.
- "Price Tag" (featuring B.o.B) – 3:41
- "Price Tag" (featuring Devlin) (Shux Remix) – 3:27
- "Price Tag" (Benny Page Remix) – 4:29
- "Price Tag" (Doman & Gooding Remix) – 4:58
- "Price Tag" (acoustic version) – 3:19
- German CD single
- "Price Tag" (featuring B.o.B) – 3:41
- "Price Tag" (acoustic version) – 3:19
- "Price Tag" (w/o Rap Edit) – 3:09
- Digital download (Shux Remix)
- "Price Tag" (Shux Remix featuring Devlin) - 3:27
- Digital download (Rizzle Kicks vs. Rural Remix)
Credits and personnel
- Jessie J – songwriter and vocals
- Dr. Luke – songwriter, producer, drums, keyboards and programming
- Claude Kelly – songwriter
- B.o.B – songwriter and additional vocals
- Butch Coleman – bass guitar
- Chris "TEK" O'Ryan – engineer and recording
- Emily Wright – engineer and recording
- Sam Holland – engineer and recording
- Tatiana Gottwald – assistant engineer
- Serban Ghenea – mixing
- John Hanes – mixing
- Tim Roberts – assistant mix engineer
- Tom Coyne – mastering
Credits adapted from Who You Are album liner notes.
|Australia (ARIA)||5× Platinum||350,000|
|New Zealand (RIANZ)||2× Platinum||30,000|
|United Kingdom (BPI)||2× Platinum||1,200,000|
|United States (RIAA)||Platinum||1,000,000|
*sales figures based on certification alone
|United States||25 January 2011||Digital download||Lava Records, Universal Republic|
|Top 40/Mainstream airplay|
|United Kingdom||31 January 2011||Airplay, digital download||Lava Records, Island Records|
|7 March 2011||CD single|
|Germany||6 May 2011||Lava Records, Universal Republic|
|Taiwan||27 February 2011||Digital download||Universal Music Group|
- Dawson, Emma (2011-01-20). "Jessie J To Release "Price Tag" Featuring B.o.B January 30th". Misformusic.com. Retrieved 2011-01-28.
- "Jessie J - Price Tag feat. Devlin". Youneek. 2011-01-04. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- "Price Tag Suits Jessie J". The Official Charts Company. 6 February 2011. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- "Chart Track: Week 6, 2011". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Jessie J Album & Song Chart History". Billboard Hot 100 for Jessie J. Prometheus Global Media.
- "The biggest selling collaborations of 2011 revealed!". Official Charts Company. 22 November 2011. Retrieved 15 April 2012.
- Hogan, Michael (21 February 2012). "Brit Awards 2012: as it happened". The Daily Telegraph (London). Retrieved 27 February 2012.
- Ami Sedghi (4 November 2012). "UK's million-selling singles: the full list". Guardian. Retrieved 4 November 2012.
- "NEW MUSIC: JESSIE J F/ B.O.B – ‘PRICE TAG’". Rap-Up. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- Wells, James (2011-01-31). "Jessie J, 'Price Tag' Feat. B.o.B. – New Song". AOL Radio. AOL. Retrieved 2011-02-03.
- "Jessie J feat. B.o.Bs Price Tag sample of Black Heat's Kimba Zu". whosampled.com. Retrieved 9 August 2011.
- "Jessie J "Price Tag" Sheet Music - Download & Print". Retrieved 29 September 2014.
- Clayton Perry, "Interview: Jessie J – Singer and Songwriter", Clayton Perry's Interview Exclusives (website), 21 January 2011
- "Song of the Day - Price Tag - Jessie J". Popjustice. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- Smith, Caspar (2010-10-31). "One to watch: Jessie J". The Guardian. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- Levine, Nick (30 January 2011). "Music - Singles Review - Jessie J ft. B.o.B.: 'Price Tag' - Digital Spy". Digital Spy. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- Love, Ryan (4 February 2011). "Bruno Mars extends Irish chart reign". Digital Spy. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- "Jessie J topping official midweek chart". BBC. Retrieved 3 February 2011.
- "Universal and Sony to change singles release policy". Newsbeat. BBC. 17 January 2011. Retrieved 6 February 2011.
- "Jessie J wins Champion chart battle as Lady Gaga swoops into Top 3". The Official Charts Company. 13 February 2011. Retrieved 13 February 2011.
- Billboard, Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles 14 May 2011
- Lee, Ann (28 January 2011). "Jessie J reveals sneak peek of new Price Tag music video". Metro. Retrieved 2 February 2011.
- Mike (2011-01-30). "Emil Nava". Teen Today. Retrieved 2011-01-30.
- "Jessie J – "Price Tag" Live On Later With Jools Holland". Soul Culture. 10 November 2010. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- "Jessie J ‘Price Tag’ Live At Scala". popdirt.com. 2011-01-20. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- "Price Tag (Live in NY) Video by Jessie J". AOL. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- "JESSIE J PERFORMS 'NOBODY'S PERFECT' AND 'PRICE TAG'". BBC Radio 1. 2011-01-13. Retrieved 21 January 2011.
- Jessie J Makes Her Big American Debut on 'SNL' | Rolling Stone Culture|Video Blog|Music Entertainment Videos Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- SNL Archives | Episode. Retrieved 18 March 2011.
- Jessie performs on Ellen show Retrieved 6 June 2011
- "Jessie J Does It Like A New Yorker, Performs In Subway Station". Idolator. 29 January 2011. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- iTunes - Music - Price Tag (feat. B.o.B) - EP by Jessie J
- "Price Tag: Jessie J, B.o.B.: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 12 February 2011.
- Price Tag (2-Track): Amazon.de: Musik
- iTunes - Music - Price Tag (Shux Remix) [feat. Devlin] - Single by Devlin & Jessie J
- iTunes - Music - Price Tag (Rizzle Kicks vs. Rural Remix) [feat. B.o.B] - Single by Jessie J
- Who You Are (liner notes). Jessie J. Universal Republic. 2011.
- "ARIA Top 50 Singles Chart: 21/03/2011". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 20 March 2011.
- "Austriancharts.at – Jessie J feat. B.o.B – Price Tag" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40. Retrieved 13 April 2011.
- "Ultratop.be – Jessie J feat. B.o.B – Price Tag" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- "Ultratop.be – Jessie J feat. B.o.B – Price Tag" (in French). Ultratop 50. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- "Price Tag — Jessie J". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201118 into search. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "Danishcharts.com – Jessie J feat. B.o.B – Price Tag". Tracklisten. Retrieved 10 May 2011.
- "Jessie J feat. B.o.B: Price Tag" (in Finnish). Musiikkituottajat – IFPI Finland. Retrieved 28 March 2011.
- "Lescharts.com – Jessie J feat. B.o.B – Price Tag" (in French). Les classement single. Retrieved 2 May 2011.
- "Musicline.de – Jessie feat. B.o.B Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH. Retrieved 2011-05-13.
- "Archívum – Slágerlisták – MAHASZ" (in Hungarian). Rádiós Top 40 játszási lista. Magyar Hanglemezkiadók Szövetsége.
- "Italiancharts.com – Jessie J feat. B.o.B – Price Tag". Top Digital Download. Retrieved 19 April 2011.
- "Japan Hot 100: Jun 25, 2011". Billboard. Retrieved 25 June 2011.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – Jessie J search results" (in Dutch) Dutch Top 40. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- "Charts.org.nz – Jessie J feat. B.o.B – Price Tag". Top 40 Singles.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Jessie J feat. B.o.B – Price Tag". VG-lista. Retrieved 11 April 2011.
- "Listy bestsellerów, wyróżnienia :: Związek Producentów Audio-Video". Polish Airplay Top 20. Retrieved 10 September 2014.
- "Romanian Top 100". RT100.RO. Retrieved 2011-04-11.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-02-12". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top 100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201110 into search. Retrieved 2011-03-16.
- "South Korea Gaon International Chart". Gaon Chart.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Jessie J feat. B.o.B – Price Tag" Canciones Top 50. Retrieved 15 August 2011.
- "Promusicae (Week: January 1, 2011)" (PDF). Retrieved 13 July 2011.
- "Swedishcharts.com – Jessie J feat. B.o.B – Price Tag". Singles Top 60. Retrieved 8 April 2011.
- "Swisscharts.com – Jessie J feat. B.o.B – Price Tag". Swiss Singles Chart. Retrieved 11 May 2011.
- "Archive Chart: 2011-02-12" UK Singles Chart.
- "Jessie J – Chart history" Billboard Adult Pop Songs for Jessie J.
- "Jessie J – Chart history" Billboard Hot Dance Club Songs for Jessie J.
- "Jessie J – Chart history" Billboard Pop Songs for Jessie J.
- "Promusicae (Week: January 1, 2012)" (PDF). Retrieved 13 July 2011.
- "ARIA Top 100 Singles 2011". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 2015-01-18.
- "Best of 2011: Hot 100 Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 2011-12-09.
- "Classement Singles - année 2011". SNEP. 2 August 2012.
- "Classement Singles - année 2011". SNEP. 2 August 2012.
- "MAHASZ Rádiós TOP 100 2011" (in Hungarian). Mahasz. Retrieved 22 February 2012.
- "Japan Hot 100: Year-End". Billboard—Japan. Prometheus Global Media. 2011. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- Top Selling Singles of 2011 | The Official New Zealand Music Chart
- "The Top 40 Biggest Selling Singles of the Year". BBC. 31 December 2011.
- "Top 50 Singles Chart". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved 6 March 2011.
- "GOUD EN PLATINA - 2011". www.ultratop.be. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "Certificeringer | ifpi.dk" (in Danish). International Federation of the Phonographic Industry. Retrieved 14 July 2011.
- "Gold/Platinum Database". Retrieved 12 August 2011.
- "Italian certifications" (PDF). fimi. Retrieved 6 May 2011.
- "AWARDS 2011". www.swisscharts.com. Retrieved 20 June 2011.
- "August Rings Gold & Platinum". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved 10 October 2011.
- ®R&R :: Going For Adds™ :: CHR/Top 40