The poster for Pride 33.
|Promotion||Pride Fighting Championships|
|Date||February 24, 2007|
|Venue||Thomas & Mack Center|
|City||Las Vegas, Nevada, USA|
|Attendance||12,911 (11,334 paid)|
In the night's main event welterweight champion Dan Henderson knocked out Pride Middleweight Champion Wanderlei Silva to become the new middleweight champion. This victory by Henderson avenged an earlier loss to Silva after their first encounter in 2000 at Pride 12 - Cold Fury, with Silva winning that fight in a three-round unanimous decision.
A fight between Sergei Kharitonov and Gilbert Yvel was submitted for approval by the Nevada State Athletic Commission (NSAC). However, the fight did not take place after Yvel was denied a fighter's license by the NSAC based on a history of disqualification from multiple fights, most notably, his infamous attack on a referee. Kharitonov instead fought Mike Russow defeating him with an armbar.
A fight between Wes Sims and Kazuyuki Fujita was proposed but the NSAC turned it down due to competitive reasons—the fighters were at unequal experience/talent levels. After that a Wes Sims-Mark Hunt fight was turned down as well. The NSAC confirmed that Fujita would not be fighting anyone on the Pride 33 card as the deadline for receiving the medical records of fighters over the age of 35 (Fujita was 36) had passed (they must be submitted one week before the show so they can be properly reviewed and cleared).
Nick Diaz defeated Takanori Gomi in a non-title fight via Gogoplata. The victory was later ruled a No Contest due to a failed drug test (Cannabis) from Diaz.
|Middleweight||Dan Henderson||def.||Wanderlei Silva (c)||KO (punches)||3||2:08||[a]|
|Lightweight||Nick Diaz||vs.||Takanori Gomi||No Contest||2||1:46||[b]|
|Heavyweight||Maurício Rua||def.||Alistair Overeem||KO (punches)||1||3:37|
|Catchweight (164 lbs)||Hayato Sakurai||def.||Mac Danzig||KO (punch)||2||4:01|
|Heavyweight||Rameau Thierry Sokoudjou||def.||Antônio Rogério Nogueira||KO (punch)||1||0:23|
|Heavyweight||Sergei Kharitonov||def.||Mike Russow||Submission (armbar)||1||3:46|
|Middleweight||Frank Trigg||def.||Kazuo Misaki||Decision (unanimous)||3||5:00|
|Catchweight (210 lbs)||James Lee||def.||Travis Wiuff||Submission (guillotine choke)||1||0:39|
|Lightweight||Joachim Hansen||def.||Jason Ireland||Submission (armbar)||3||2:33|
- Ivan Trembow. "Pride: The Second Coming Attendance Breakdown". mmaweekly.com. Archived from the original on 2007-03-03.
- "Pride official site" (in Japanese). Pride. 2007. Retrieved January 3, 2007.
- "Pride 33: Silva vs. Henderson". The Fight Game. January 7, 2007. Retrieved January 7, 2007.
- "Fight Finder – Pride 12". Sherdog. Retrieved January 7, 2007.
- "License To Fight: Busy Morning For The NSAC". Sherdog. February 16, 2006. Retrieved February 13, 2007.
- Mendoza, Ricardo (February 21, 2007). "Kharitonov vs. Russow; Nakamura Out". MMA Weekly. Retrieved February 21, 2007.
- Trembow, Ivan (February 16, 2007). "In Depth Coverage: Hearings for Randleman, Yvel, Alves, Toughill and Carvahlo". MMA Weekly. Archived from the original on February 27, 2007. Retrieved February 16, 2007.
- Gross, Josh (April 10, 2007). "NSAC Changes Diaz Win to No-Decision". Sherdog.com. Retrieved April 10, 2007.