Primate Rescue Center
|Date opened||September 1987|
|Land area||30 acres|
|No. of animals||50+|
|No. of species||12 recognised:
The Primate Rescue Center is a primate rescue organization founded by Clay Miller and April Truitt in the late 1980s. The PRC is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization located in Wilmore, Kentucky, approximately 17 miles south of Lexington, Kentucky. The PRC provides lifetime sanctuary for rescued primates from all over the United States, and is home to over 50 primates, including a troop of 11 common chimpanzees.
The PRC works to alleviate the suffering of primates wherever it occurs by:
- Providing sanctuary or referral to appropriate facilities;
- Working to end the trade in pet primates in the U.S. and abroad;
- Educating the public about the plight of primates caught in the breeder/dealer cycle;
- Assisting researchers and zoo personnel in finding appropriate placement for their surplus primates;
- Encouraging compliance with applicable local, state and federal laws, such as various animal welfare statutes.
The staff at the PRC has also worked closely with the Kentucky state government, and in particular with the Kentucky Department of Fish and Wildlife Resources, in helping to draft now-enacted regulations against the importation of primates into the state by private individuals.
Most primates that end up at the center are former pets, but some species, like the rhesus macaque and olive baboon are common laboratory animals. The center is currently home to over fifty animals of the following twelves species:
- Pan troglodytes - common chimpanzee
- Macaca nigra - celebes crested macaque
- Cebus - capuchin monkey
- Colobus guereza - black-and-white colobus
- Ateles vellerosus - spider monkey
- Macaca fascicularis - long-tailed macaque
- Macaca nemestrina - Southern pig-tailed macaque
- Macaca mulatta - rhesus macaque
- Macaca fuscata - Japanese macaque
- Cercopithecus aethiops - vervet monkey
- Hylobates syndactylus - siamang gibbon
- Papio anubis - olive baboon
- BBB - Better Business Bureau (2011). "Charity Review of Primate Rescue Center". Better Business Bureau. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- Central Kentucky News (2011). "Primate Rescue Center Supporters Visit Monkeys". Central Kentucky News. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- Jessamine Journal (2011). "Chimpanzees at Primate Rescue Center get Regular Physical Examinations". Jessamine Journal. Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- Jessamine Journal (2011). "Primate Rescue Center Houses Marmosets Confiscated from Marion County". Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- Nexus Newspaper (2011). "Comic Strip Series Helps Primates". Retrieved 2011-07-04.
- The Seattle Times (2011-04-13). "Deficit Hawk Swoops to Save Chimps from U.S. Research". Retrieved 2011-07-05.
- PIN - Primate Info Net (2007). "Primate Rescue Center Inc". Primate Info Net. Retrieved 2011-06-28.
- Kentucky.com (2011). "Authorities Confiscate Frankfort Woman's Pet Monkey". Kentucky.com. Retrieved 2011-06-28.