Prime Ministerial Car
|Armoured Jaguar XJ Sentinel|
|Manufacturer||Jaguar Land Rover|
|Engine||5.0 L 510 PS (375 kW) supercharged AJ Gen III V8 (Petrol)|
|Wheelbase||3,157.2 mm (124.30 in)|
|Length||5,247.6 mm (206.60 in)|
|Width||2,100 mm (83 in)|
|Height||1,447.8 mm (57.00 in)|
|Kerb weight||3,800 kg (8,400 lb)|
|Predecessor||Jaguar XJ (X308)(Gordon Brown)
Jaguar XJ (X300)(Major/Blair)
The Prime Ministerial Car refers to a number of British-manufactured vehicles used by the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom. The vehicles currently used are armoured, custom-built Jaguar XJ Sentinel supercharged 5.0-litre V8 models. Prime Ministerial and ministerial limousines are operated and administered by the Government Cars Agency, an executive agency of the Department for Transport, and stored and maintained at 10 Downing Street. The cars are driven by specially trained UKSF close-protection drivers, and are escorted by unmarked Range Rovers and Protection Command officers.
Many details are classified, but the current Jaguar models are estimated to have cost up to £300,000. They feature a number of security features, including a 13 mm explosive-resistant steel plate underneath the body, titanium- and Kevlar-lined cabins, armoured windows with bulletproof polycarbonate-toughened glass, run-flat tyres and 'gun ports' to enable bodyguards to return fire at any attackers. The cars are also equipped with an independent, self-contained oxygen supply to protect the Prime Minister and other passengers against chemical or biological attack. The vehicle can also release tear gas and other crowd dispersants.
The car features state-of-the-art communication and conferencing systems, high definition televisions, night vision, as well as adjustable, heated and cooled rear massage seats, and a Bowers & Wilkins 1200-watt, 20-speaker Dolby 7.1 surround-sound system. The vehicle used to be classed as B7 level but under the new system is classed as VPAM9 and is understood to be capable of withstanding the blast of 15 kg equivalent TNT and sustained attack by a variety of other armour-piercing weapons.
The car has a 5.0-litre supercharged petrol engine producing 503 bhp, with a top speed of 121 mph and is capable of reaching 62 mph (100kmh) from stationary in 9.4 seconds, slower than the original due to the substantially greater weight of the vehicle.
- Official state car
- Bentley State Limousine, the car used by Queen Elizabeth II
- Government of the United Kingdom
- Air transports of heads of state and government
- Luxury Jaguar Now Safely Protects David Cameron. "Luxury Jaguar Now Safely Protects David Cameron". Trendsupdates.com. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- INUncategorised. "Jaguar XJ Sentinel: the bombproof Big Cat | MotorTorque". Motortorque.askaprice.com. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- "Blogs From 2010/5 | MotorTorque". Motortorque.askaprice.com. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- "David Cameron's security: The people who protect the Prime Minister". Mirror. 27 October 2014. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- Webster, Tom (2010-05-13). "Cameron gets a new Jag to go with the new job - Autoblog UK". Uk.autoblog.com. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- "David Cameron's limo dented and scratched in Salford prang - Mirror Online". Mirror.co.uk. 2011-08-12. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- Ray Massey (2009-07-10). "Pictured: The £200,000 new Jaguar fit for a Prime Minister | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- "New Jaguar XJ Sentinel Armored Version to Debut at Moscow Show - Carscoop". Carscoop.blogspot.com. 2010-08-18. Retrieved 2012-10-14.
- "David Cameron's 'age of austerity' £200k Jaguar outside 10 Downing Street | Mail Online". Dailymail.co.uk. 2011-02-16. Retrieved 2012-10-14.