This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (January 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Jakopin in Ljubljana, 2015
30 June 1949 |
|Alma mater||University of Ljubljana, University of Zagreb|
|Institutions||University of Ljubljana, University of Nova Gorica|
Early life and education
In 1972 he completed a degree in technical mathematics (Numerično računanje singularnih integralov / Numerical Computation of Singular Integrals) at the University of Ljubljana, in 1981 he obtained a master's degree in information sciences with the thesis Entropija imena i prezimena u Sloveniji / On entropy of first names and last names in Slovenia at the University of Zagreb and in 1999 a Ph.D. with the thesis Zgornja meja entropije pri leposlovnih besedilih v slovenskem jeziku / Upper Bound of Entropy in Slovenian Literary Texts, also at the University of Ljubljana.
In high school, he read the book Kraški svet in njegovi pojavi / Karst world and its phenomena by Pavel Kunaver and especially because of its photographs by Bogumil Brinšek, Jakopin became interested in speleology. In 1966 he joined the Društvo za raziskovanje jam Ljubljana / Ljubljana cave exploration society to learn more about caves and to participate in exploration of new caves. He observed that the principal cave parameters, obtained from the cave survey, length and depth, also used to compare and classify caves, for instance in the List of longest caves and in the List of deepest caves, do not represent cave size properly as caves are 3D objects with volume as their main and most noticeable feature. In 1972, at the 6th Yugoslav congress of speleology, he proposed volume as the main cave parameter in the paper O numeričnem vrednotenju kraških objektov / Numerical Valuation of Objects on Karst.
In 1974 he made a 3D model for approximation of cave space, based on a series of connected polygonal cross sections and used it to make a 3D survey of Skednena jama cave, a fossil ponor at the northern rim of the Planinsko polje karst field in Slovenia. By 1979 he developed a computer program to support the 3D model, to computate its vertice coordinates and to calculate the model (and cave) parameters: length, surface and volume. In 1981 Jakopin published the results for Skednena jama cave in the paper Macrostereological Evaluation of Cave Space. The model had 305 vertices, 51 cross sections, total length was 205 m, surface area 8900 m2 and volume 6.500 m3.
He was a senior lecturer at the Department of Comparative and General Linguistics, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana. His subjects of instruction are language technologies with stress on Lemmatisation. From 2001 to 2012 he was the Head of the Corpus Laboratory at the Fran Ramovš Institute of Slovene Language (within the Scientific Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts). He participated in a number of European projects on language resources.
His major pieces of software: IBIS (Digital DEC 10, 1981), INES (Sinclair ZX Spectrum, 1985), STEVE (ATARI ST, 1987-1992), EVA for DOS, 1992- and Windows 9X/2000/XP, 1996-, NEVA - Windows server search engine, 1999-. From 1992 to 1994 he supervised the transfer of the Standard Slovenian Dictionary (SSKJ) from printed to electronic version (EVA OCR, DOS version). In 1997 he wrote the first part-of-speech tagger for Slovene texts. In 1999 he started an Internet text corpus, with a concordance service and linked wordform and reversed wordform frequency dictionaries. It is now available as Nova beseda (New word).
His father Franc Jakopin was a Slovenian slavist, lexicographer and onomatologist his mother Gitica Jakopin was a translator, writer and a poet, his brother Japec Jakopin is a yacht concept designer and his brother Jernej Jakopin is a naval architect.
- CORTES - a text corpus of Slovene. In publication: Digital resources for the humanities: Conference abstracts (University of Sheffield, 10–13 September 2000). - Sheffield: University of Sheffield, 2000. - p. 70-72. COBISS 16309805
- EVA - an Internet tool for textual and lexical resources. In publication: Linguistics and language studies / 32nd Annual Meeting, Ljubljana, 8–11 July 1999. - Ljubljana : University, Faculty of Arts: Societas Linguistica Europaea, 1999. - p. 98. COBISS 19620397
- The feasibility of a complete text corpus. LREC 2002: proceedings. COBISS 21865773
- On text corpora, word lengths, and word frequencies in Slovene. In publication: Contributions to the science of text and language / edited by Peter Grzybek. - Dordrecht: Springer, 2006. (Text, speech and language technology ; vol. 31). - ISBN 1-4020-4067-9. - p. 171-185. COBISS 24779309
- Query-driven dictionary enhancement. Co-author: Birte Lönneker. In publication: Proceedings of the Eleventh EURALEX International Congress, EURALEX 2004, Lorient, France, July 6–10, 2004 / Geoffrey Williams and Sandra Vessier (eds.). - Lorient : Université de Bretagne-Sud, cop. 2004-. - p. 273-284. COBISS 22533677
- Slovene texts on the internet. In publication: Zapiski: Chronicle of the American Slovene Congress. Issue 7 (May 2000), p. 4-7. COBISS 15997485
- Words and nonwords as basic units of a newspaper text corpus. In publication: COMPLEX 2001 / 6th Conference on Computational Lexicography and Corpus Research "Computational Lexicography and New EU Languages", Mason Hall, Birmingham, 28 June-1 July 2001. - Birmingham: Centre for Corpus Linguistics, Department of English, University of Birmingham, 2001. - p. 49-65. COBISS 16206690
- Entropija v slovenskih leposlovnih besedilih (Upper Bound of Entropy in Slovene Literary Texts), Založba ZRC, Ljubljana 2002. COBISS 121042688
- O oblikoslovnem označevanju slovenskega besedila (Morphological tagging of Slovene texts) (co-author A. Bizjak), Slavistična revija 1997.
- Odzadnji slovar slovenskega jezika (Inverse Dictionary of Slovene language) (co-author M. Hajnšek-Holz), Ljubljana 1996. COBISS 62839552
- "Primož Jakopin / Personal Bibliography". Co-operative Online Bibliographic System & Services. Maribor, Slovenia. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- Golob, Tadej (March 2006), "Japec Jakopin", Playboy (in Slovenian), Slovenia: 39–47, retrieved 13 December 2017
- Jakopin, Primož (1972). Numerično računanje singularnih integralov: diplomsko delo [Numerical Computation of Singular Integrals] (Diploma thesis) (in Slovenian). University of Ljubljana. p. 68. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- Jakopin, Primož (1981). Entropija imena i prezimena u Sloveniji: magistarski rad [On entropy of first names and last names in Slovenia] (M.Sc. thesis) (in Slovenian). University of Zagreb. p. 123. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- Jakopin, Primož (1999). Zgornja meja entropije pri leposlovnih besedilih v slovenskem jeziku [Upper Bound of Entropy in Slovenian Literary Texts] (Ph.D.) (in Slovenian). University of Ljubljana. p. 205. Retrieved 5 July 2016.
- Kunaver, Pavel (1922). Kraški svet in njegovi pojavi [Karst world and its phenomena]. Dom in svet (in Slovenian). 35. Ljubljana: Učiteljska tiskarna v Ljubljani. p. 104.
- Podpac, Ljubo; Lindič, Jernej (1975). "Seznam članov društva za raziskovanje jam Ljubljana - 1974" [List of members of the Ljubljana Cave Exploration Society (DZRJL) - 1974]. Glas podzemlja / Voice of the Underground (in Slovenian). No. II. Ljubljana: DZRJL. p. 18 - 22. Retrieved 7 January 2018.
- Jakopin, Primož (10–15 October 1972). O numeričnem vrednotenju kraških objektov [Numerical Valuation of Objects on Karst]. 6th Yugoslav congress of speleology (in Slovenian). Lipica (published 1972). p. 41 - 42.
- Jakopin, Primož (22–27 June 1981). Macrostereological Evaluation of Cave Space. 3rd European symposium for stereology. Ljubljana: Stereological Section of the Yugoslav Association of Anatomists / Jožef Stefan Institute / "Edvard Kardelj University (published 1981). p. 621 - 628. ISSN 0350-3062. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- "Primož Jakopin". Department of Comparative and General Linguistics, Faculty of Arts, University of Ljubljana. Ljubljana, Slovenia. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "Assistant Prof. Primož Jakopin, PhD, Senior Research Fellow". Fran Ramovš Institute of the Slovenian Language / Members. Ljubljana, Slovenia. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- Heike Rettig, ed. (1995). "Language Resources for Language Technology". Proceedings of the TELRI (Trans-European Language Resources Infrastructure), 1st European Seminar, September 15–16, 1995. Tihany, Hungary. Retrieved 24 June 2016.
- Kanič, Ivan (June 1984). "INES, sistem za obdelavo besedil, slik in majhnih podatkovnih zbirk" [INES, a System for Processing Text, Pictures and Small Data Collections]. Moj mikro (in Slovenian). Vol. 1 no. 1. Ljubljana: ČGP Delo. p. 10. Retrieved 6 January 2018.
- Jakopin, Primož (1985). "INES: Urejevalnik Podatkov, Slik in Besedil" [INES: Data, Picture and Text Editor]. Sinclair Infoseek. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- Jakopin, Primož; Vučkovič, Andrej (1989). "STEVE reference manual : text, graphics, data base, DTP and CAI on Atari ST". OCLC WorldCat. Retrieved 27 June 2016.
- "EVA - A Textual Data Processing Tool". Proceedings of the TELRI (Trans-European Language Resources Infrastructure), 1st European Seminar, September 15–16, 1995. Tihany, Hungary. 1995. p. 169 - 171. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- Reindl, Donald (19 June 2002). "Obituary: Franc Jakopin 1921-2002". The LINGUIST List : International Linguistics Community Online. Retrieved 13 December 2017.
- Černelič Krošelj, Alenka (2012). "Na kratko o izbranih znamenitih Krčanih / A Brief Overview of the Selected Famous People of Krško". In Volfand, Jože; Čanji, Vanesa. Krško (PDF). Celje, Slovenia: Fit media. p. 170 - 173. Retrieved 13 December 2017.