|Original author(s)||Douglas Saltsman|
|Developer(s)||Nitro PDF Software|
188.8.131.52 / July 26, 2010
|Written in||C, C++, C#|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
PrimoPDF is a freeware program that creates a PDF file from Microsoft Windows documents. It works as a virtual printer. It does not present the user with advertisements. But does utilize the OpenCandy Adware program and per its terms of service, may use OpenCandy to recommend other software to the user. PrimoPDF is developed by the same company that develops the commercial Nitro PDF software.
PrimoPDF requires the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0. When the program runs, it tries to download automatic updates from www.primopdf.com each time it prints. This feature can be disabled within the program settings. It uses the Ghostscript file format converter and RedMon printer redirection software.
According to its documentation, PrimoPDF has the following features:
- Consistent PDF creation. Use PrimoPDF's creation profiles to produce the same kind of PDF file every time. Profiles include Screen, eBook, Print, Prepress, and Custom.
- Append PDF files. Combine each newly created PDF file into the one PDF.
- Secure PDF. Protect and encrypt your information with strong password-based PDF security.
- PDF metadata. Set the document properties information fields, -- including author, title, subject, and keywords—to index your PDF files and make them easier to search.
- PDF versions. Create different version PDF files: 1.2, 1.3, 1.4, and 1.5
- Anne Steyer Phelps, ActivePDF PrimoPDF, PC Today Software Reviews, July 2004 • Vol.2 Issue 7 Page(s) 82 in print issue
- Richards, Gizmo (2014-02-08). "Controversial Advertising Program Now Being Embedded in More Software". Gizmo's Freeware. Archived from the original on 2014-08-07. Retrieved 2014-08-30.
OpenCandy (OC) is a relatively new advertising product that more and more software developers are bundling with their programs. It can now be found in the installers of dozens of popular programs including IZArc, mirC, PrimoPDF, Trillian Astra and more.
- OpenCandy (October 1, 2009). "Nitro PDF Software Opts-In to OpenCandy to Monetize Downloads of PrimoPDF". BusinessWire. Retrieved April 24, 2017.
- "PrimoPDF Source Code". Nitro PDF Pty. Ltd. 2010. Archived from the original (Zip) on 2011-07-15. Retrieved 2010-04-12.
- Seth Rosenblatt, CNET editors' review, October 8, 2009, CNet
- Davey Winder, PrimoPDF Review, 15 Dec 2006, PC Pro