This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Original author(s)||Michael Day|
|Developer(s)||YesLogic Pty Ltd|
|Initial release||April 2003|
11 / July 2018
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Solaris, FreeBSD|
Prince (formerly Prince XML) is a proprietary software program that converts XML and HTML documents into PDF files by applying Cascading Style Sheets (CSS). As technology, in electronic publishing and dynamic data-driven PDF generation, it enables the replacing of XSL-FO frameworks by CSS3 ones.
It is developed by YesLogic, a small company based in Melbourne, Australia. Marketed as a professional "XML+CSS3 to PDF" solution, it received positive reviews and was considered a unique product in the 2000s. 
In April 2003, Prince 1.0 was released, with basic support for XHTML, Cascading Style Sheets (CSS), Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG), and arbitrary XML. This first version was a command-line program that supported Microsoft Windows and Linux; there was no graphical user interface for Windows yet.
In subsequent releases, CSS support was steadily extended until it was comparable with web browsers such as Opera and Mozilla Firefox. It has also been expanded to support additional platforms—the latest offering include packages for the Apple Mac, Freebsd, and Solaris platforms.
Prince was developed using the Mercury functional logic programming language.
- Michael Day: I am the founder of YesLogic and the designer of Prince, software for getting web content onto paper.
- Prince forum post: Prince 12 released!
- PrinceXML Is Extremely Impressive Ryan Tomayko, February 3, 2008
- Prince 5.1 Passes Acid2 Web Standards Project announcement, December 10, 2005
- Release Notes for Prince 12
- CSS Paged Media Module Level 3, W3C
- Steward, Sid. PDF Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips & Tools. O'Reilly. ISBN 0-596-00655-1.
- Fitzgerald, Michael. XML Hacks: 100 Industrial-Strength Tips & Tools. O'Reilly. ISBN 0-596-00711-6.
- Interview with Michael Day of Prince XML by Olimpiu Metiu, Page 33, Published at: June 28, 2010, Rails Magazine
- Prince XML: Generating High Quality PDFs from HTML + CSS, 15 Nov 2007, GoogleTechTalks, YouTube Video