Prince Albrecht of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
|Prince Albrecht of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg|
15 March 1863|
Kiel, Duchy of Holstein
|Died||23 April 1948
Glücksburg, Schleswig-Flensburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
|Spouse||Countess Ortrud of Ysenburg und Büdingen
Princess Hertha of Ysenburg und Büdingen
|Issue||Princess Marie Luise of Schaumburg-Lippe
Prince Friedrich Wilhelm of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Prince Johann Georg of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Prince Friedrich Ferdinand of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
Ortrud, Princess of Hanover
|House||House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg|
|Father||Friedrich, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg|
|Mother||Princess Adelheid of Schaumburg-Lippe|
Prince Albrecht of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (15 March 1863, Kiel, Duchy of Holstein – 23 April 1948, Glücksburg, Schleswig-Holstein, Germany) was the fifth and youngest child of Friedrich, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg and his wife Princess Adelheid of Schaumburg-Lippe and was a nephew of Christian IX of Denmark. Albrecht was the grandfather of Ernst August V, Prince of Hanover through his daughter Princess Ortrud of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg.
Marriage and issue
Albrecht married Countess Ortrud of Ysenburg und Büdingen (1879-1918), daughter of Count Karl of Ysenburg (1819-1900) und Büdingen on 14 October 1906 at Meerholz, Germany. Albrecht and Ortrud had four children:
- Princess Marie Luise of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (8 December 1908 – 29 December 1969) She was adopted in November 1920 by Ernst Gunther, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein. She married Baron Rudolph-Karl von Stengal on 19 April 1934 and they were divorced on 10 August 1955, with issue. She remarried Prince Friedrich Christian of Schaumburg-Lippe on 15 October 1962.
- Prince Friedrich Wilhelm of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (29 December 1909 – 6 June 1940) killed in action the age of thirty.
- Prince Johann Georg of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (24 July 1911 – 23 June 1941). He was adopted in November 1920 by Ernst Gunther, Duke of Schleswig-Holstein. He was killed in action at the age of twenty-nine.
- Prince Friedrich Ferdinand of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (14 May 1913 – 31 May 1989) married Duchess Anastasia of Mecklenburg-Schwerin on 1 September 1943. They have four daughters, five grandchildren and one great-granddaughter.
After Ortrud's death, Albrecht married, secondly, Princess Hertha of Ysenburg und Büdingen (1883–1972), daughter of Bruno, 3rd Prince of Ysenburg and Büdingen and Countess Bertha of Castell-Rüdenhausen, on 19 September 1920 at Büdingen, Hesse, Germany., with issue.
- Princess Ortrud of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg (19 December 1925 – 6 February 1980) she married Ernest Augustus IV, Prince of Hanover on 5 September 1951, with issue.
Titles, styles, honours and arms
Titles and styles
- 15 March 1863 – 19 December 1863: His Serene Highness Prince Albrecht of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
- 19 December 1863 – 23 April 1948: His Highness Prince Albrecht of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg
- Darryl Lundy (17 June 2003). "Albrecht Prinz zu Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg". thePeerage.com. Retrieved 2008-09-08. External link in
- Paul Theroff. "SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN". Paul Theroff's Royal Genealogy Site. Retrieved 2008-09-08.
- Glenn A. Steinberg. "The House of Schleswig-Holstein-Sonderburg-Glücksburg, 1939-1945". European Royalty During World War II. Retrieved 2008-09-08. External link in