Prince Alexander, Duke of Södermanland
|Duke of Södermanland|
|Born||19 April 2016|
Danderyd Hospital, Danderyd, Sweden
|Father||Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland|
HRH Princess Birgitta
Prince Alexander of Sweden, Duke of Södermanland (Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil; born 19 April 2016), is the first child and son of Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia. He is a grandson of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia. He is the elder brother of Prince Gabriel, Duke of Dalarna and is fifth in the line of succession to the Swedish throne.
Prince Alexander was born on 19 April 2016 at 18:25 at Danderyd Hospital in Danderyd, Sweden. The birth was celebrated with a 21-gun salute from Skeppsholmen in Stockholm on 20 April. His name and title were announced by King Carl XVI Gustaf on 21 April 2016 at a cabinet meeting.
Prince Alexander was christened on 9 September 2016 in the Royal Chapel at Drottningholm Palace. His godparents are his paternal aunt Crown Princess Victoria, his maternal aunt, Lina Frejd, his father's paternal cousin Victor Magnuson, Jan-Åke Hansson (who was also Prince Carl Philip's best man at his wedding) and his mother's friend Cajsa Larsson.
Titles, styles, and honours
Titles and styles
Alexander is styled as: His Royal Highness Prince Alexander of Sweden, Duke of Södermanland.
- Sweden: Knight of the Royal Order of the Seraphim
- Sweden: Knight of the Order of Charles XIII (RCXIII)
Prince Alexander's coat of arms is based on the greater coat of arms of Sweden. It features in the first and fourth quarters, the Three Crowns; in the second, the lion of the House of Bjelbo; and in the third, the griffin of the arms of Södermanland, representing the titular designation of his dukedom. In the centre, on an inescutcheon, is the dynastic arms of the House of Bernadotte. Surrounding the shield is the chain of the Order of the Seraphim, of which he had been presented with since his baptism.
- "Princess Sofia and Prince Carl Philip Welcome First Child". InStyle. 19 April 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Announcement from the Marshal of the Realm". Royal Court of Sweden. 19 April 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Prince Carl Philip and Princess Sofia have had a son". Royal Court of Sweden. 19 April 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- "Swedish Princess Sofia gives birth to first child". The Local. 19 April 2016. Retrieved 19 April 2016.
- Gyllenberg, Eva-Karin (21 April 2016). "Prinsens namn blir Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil" [Prince's name is Alexander Erik Hubertus Bertil]. Dagens Nyheter (in Swedish). Retrieved 21 April 2016.
- "HRH Prince Alexander will be christened in the Royal Chapel at Drottningholm Palace". Royal Court of Sweden.
- "Prince Alexander Christening Godparents". Royal Court of Sweden. Retrieved 8 September 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prins Alexander, Duke of Södermanland.|
Prince Alexander, Duke of SödermanlandBorn: 19 April 2016
Title last held byPrince Wilhelm
| Duke of Södermanland
|Lines of succession|
Prince Carl Philip
| Succession to the Swedish throne
5th in line