Prince August Leopold of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Prince August Leopold|
|Prince of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
Duke of Saxony
6 December 1867|
Rio de Janeiro, Empire of Brazil
|Died||11 October 1922
|Burial||St. Augustin, Coburg|
|Spouse||Archduchess Karoline Marie of Austria|
|House||Saxe-Coburg and Gotha-Koháry|
|Father||Prince Ludwig August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha|
|Mother||Princess Leopoldina of Brazil|
Prince August Leopold of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (December 6, 1867 – October 11, 1922), known in Brazil as Dom Augusto Leopoldo, was a prince of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha-Koháry and a Prince of the Empire of Brazil. He was the second of four sons born to German Prince Ludwig August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Princess Leopoldina of Brazil.
Born Prince August Leopold Philipp Maria Michael Gabriel Raphael Gonzaga of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Duke in Saxony, in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, he was the second son of Prince Ludwig August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Leopoldina of Braganza, Princess of Brazil. His elder brother was Peter August; his two younger brothers were Joseph and Ludwig Gaston.
Marriage and issue
On 30 May 1894, August Leopold married Archduchess Karoline Marie of Austria, in Vienna. His bride was the fourth child and second daughter of Archduke Karl Salvator of Austria, Prince of Tuscany, and his wife Princess Maria Immaculata of Bourbon-Two Sicilies. They had eight children:
- August Clemens Karl Joseph Maria Michael Gabriel Raphael Gonzaga (27 October 1895, Pula – 22 September 1908, Gerasdorf)
- Klementine Maria Teresa Josepha Leopoldine Viktoria Raphaele Gabriele Gonzaga (23 March 1897, Pula – 7 January 1975, Lausanne), married Eduard von Heller on 17 November 1925.
- Maria Karoline Philomena Ignatia Pauline Josepha Michaela Gabriela Raphaela Gonzaga (10 January 1899, Pula – 6 June 1941, Hartheim bei Linz), had been living in an institution for the mentally disabled in Schladming; in 1941, under the Nazi Action T4 euthanasia policy, the patients were removed to the concentration camp of Schloss Hartheim and gassed.
- Rainer Maria Joseph Florian Ignatius Michael Gabriel Raphael Gonzaga (4 May 1900, Pula – after 7 January 1945), believed to have been killed in action at Budapest.
- Philipp Josias Maria Joseph Ignatius Michael Gabriel Raphael Gonzaga (18 August 1901, Walterskirchen – Vienna，18 October 1985), married morganatically on 23 April 1944 to Sarah Aurelia Halasz; their only son and four grandchildren were barred from the succession of the House of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha-Koháry.
- Theresia Christiane Maria Josepha Ignatia Benizia Michaela Gabriele Raphaele Gonzaga (23 August 1902, Walterskirchen – 24 January 1990, Villach), married on 6 October 1930 to Lamoral, Freiherr von Taxis di Bordogna e Valnigra; their descendants assumed the surname Tasso de Saxe-Coburgo e Bragança.
- Leopoldine Blanka Maria Josepha Ignatia Pankrazia Michaela Gabriele Raphaele Gonzaga (13 May 1905, Schloß Gerasdorf – 24 December 1978, Hungary)
- Ernst Franz Maria Joseph Ignatius Thaddeus Felix Michael Gabriel Raphael Gonzaga (25 February 1907, Gerasdorf – 9 June 1978, Gröbming, Styria), married morganatically on 4 September 1939 to Irmgard Röll. This marriage was childless.
Grand Cross of the Order of Charles III
- Defrance O., "These Princes who came from Brazil" in Royalty Digest Quarterly n°2 - 2012, pp. 1–13.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prince August Leopold of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.|
- According to her memorial plaque in the family crypt in Coburg
- Bragança (2008), 166
- Del Priore, 124