Prince Bernhard of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Prince Bernhard Lucas Emmanuel of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven (born 25 December 1969) is the second son of Princess Margriet of the Netherlands and Pieter van Vollenhoven. His godparents are Prince Bernhard of the Netherlands, Baron J. van Boetzelaer, Baroness C. Evelein, J. Fleischman, and The Royal Air Force. Before the succession of his cousin Willem-Alexander as King, he was a member of the Dutch Royal House and eleventh in the line of succession to the Dutch throne. With Willem-Alexander's succession however, he is no longer a member of the Dutch Royal House, and is no longer in line to direct succession to the Dutch throne.
Life and education
Prince Bernhard's family lived in Apeldoorn throughout his childhood, moving to Het Loo House in 1975. He received both his primary and secondary education in Apeldoorn.
He studied economics in 1988 at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. Subsequently, in 1989 he went to the Groningen University in the Netherlands where he studied marketing and market research. In 1995 he received the degree of doctorandus (Master of science) at this university.
Although he is a member of the extended royal family, he rarely takes part in official duties. Prince Bernard is a self-employed entrepreneur.
Marriage and family
While studying in Groningen, Prince Bernhard met Annette Sekrève, (born 18 April 1972). The couple announced their engagement on 11 March 2000. They married in July 2000. The civil ceremony was performed on 6 July 2000 by the Mayor of Utrecht, Ms A. H. Brouwer-Korf, in the Spiegelzaal of the Paushuize, Utrecht. The marriage was blessed two days later, on 8 July 2000, by Dr. Anne van der Meiden in the Cathedral of Saint Martin, Utrecht.
Prince Bernhard and Princess Annette have three children.
- Isabella Lily Juliana van Vollenhoven, born in Amsterdam on 14 May 2002. Her godparents are Prince Maurits (paternal uncle), Jose Sekrève (maternal uncle) and Menno de Jong.
- Samuel Bernhard Louis van Vollenhoven, born in Amsterdam on 25 May 2004. His godparents are Princess Margriet (paternal grandmother), Prince Pieter-Christiaan (paternal uncle) Marjolein Sekrève (maternal aunt) and Diederik de Rooy.
- Benjamin Pieter Floris van Vollenhoven, born in Amsterdam on 12 March 2008. His godparents are Prince Floris (paternal uncle), Claudine Verhulst-van der Ven, Isabel Schouten-van Eys and Claire Folkerts-Drabbe.
Prince Bernhard and his family live in Amsterdam.
Upon the announcement of the planned abdication of Queen Beatrix, which took place on 30 April 2013, it was also restated that after the abdication, the children of Princess Margriet and Pieter van Vollenhoven would no longer be eligible for the throne. They would also cease to be members of the Royal House.
He also suffers from Crohn's disease.
|Ancestors of Prince Bernhard of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven|
- Current line of succession – Official website of the Dutch Royal House
- "Prince of Orange to become King Willem-Alexander, 28 January 2013". Dutch Royal House.
- Nrc Netherlands
Prince Bernhard of Orange-Nassau, van VollenhovenBorn: 25 December 1969
|Lines of succession|
Felicia van Lippe-Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven
|Line of succession to the British throne||Succeeded by
Samuel van Vollenhoven