Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland
|Prince Carl Philip|
|Prince of Sweden
Duke of Värmland
Carl Philip in January 2014
|Spouse||Sofia Hellqvist (m. 2015)|
|House||House of Bernadotte|
|Father||King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden|
|Mother||Queen Silvia of Sweden|
13 May 1979 |
Royal Palace, Stockholm, Sweden
|Religion||Church of Sweden|
|Swedish Royal Family|
Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland (Swedish pronunciation: [ˈkʰɑːɭ ˈfiːliːp]; Carl Philip Edmund Bertil; born 13 May 1979), is a Swedish prince and the only son and the second of three children of King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia of Sweden. As of 2015[update], Prince Carl Philip is third in the line of succession, after his older sister, Crown Princess Victoria, and his niece and goddaughter Princess Estelle.
Early life and education
Born Crown Prince of Sweden in the Royal Palace of Stockholm, Sweden, he had been from birth, ahead of his older sister in the line of succession for seven months, until 1 January 1980, when he was placed back in the natural birth order line by a change in the Act of Succession to absolute primogeniture and eradication of male-only primogeniture. The Duke was christened at the Royal Palace Church on 31 August 1979. His godparents are Prince Bertil, Duke of Halland (paternal great-uncle), Prince Leopold of Bavaria, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark (his father's first cousin), and Princess Birgitta of Sweden (paternal aunt).
During 1984–1986, Prince Carl Philip attended the Västerled parish preschool. In the autumn of 1986, he started school at Smedslättsskolan in Bromma which he attended at junior level. For the intermediate level, the Prince attended Ålstensskolan in Bromma, proceeding from there, in the autumn of 1992, to senior level at Enskilda Gymnasiet in Stockholm. In the autumn of 1994 Prince Carl Philip enrolled at Kent School. The Prince then continued his studies in a science programme at Lundsbergs upper secondary school. He graduated in the spring of 1999. Recently, he studied graphic design at the Rhode Island School of Design where he worked on a museum identity design project. In 2011, Prince Carl Philip finished his studies in Agricultural and Rural Management at the Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences in Alnarp.
Activities and duties
A member of the House of Bernadotte, Prince Carl Philip undertakes royal duties on behalf of his father, King Carl XVI Gustaf. He has acted as royal representative in the absence of his father and his older sister, Crown Princess Victoria.
Prince Carl Philip has been a scout and is fond of outdoor life. He is keen on sport and athletics, especially football, swimming, sailing and skiing. In 2003, he completed the historic Swedish "Vasaloppet", the longest cross country ski race in the world. Carl Philip also enjoys car racing, a passion he inherited from his great-uncle and godfather, Prince Bertil, and has a licence to compete. Prince Carl Philip has taken part in the racing series Porsche Carrera Cup Scandinavia in a Porsche 911 GT3. Since 2013 he has raced in the Scandinavian Touring Car Championship.
The Prince completed his military service at the Amphibious Battalion at Vaxholm's Coast Artillery Regiment as a combat boat commander (Combat Boat 90) in the autumn of 2000. In December 2002, the Prince was promoted to fänrik (midshipman), and in 2004 to the rank of löjtnant (sub-lieutenant) in the Swedish Navy. In 2007 and 2008 he went to the Swedish National Defense College. The course was divided in three weeks autumn 2007 and three weeks spring 2008. After that course he was appointed kapten in the Swedish Navy (lieutenant). On 1 October 2014, Prince Carl Philip achieved the rank of major.
With a great interest for design and drawing, the Prince began studying graphic design in Stockholm in 2003, studies which he continues still. In December 2003, for Queen Silvia's 60th birthday, he designed the cover for a CD of the music of Tchaikovsky's ballet The Nutcracker, which was released to honour Her Majesty's landmark birthday (the proceeds from it goes to the World Childhood Foundation, an organisation founded by Queen Silvia). In 2004, the Prince created a calendar, together with an advertising agency, that was sold to benefit the same organisation.
Prince Carl Philip dated Emma Pernald from 1999. Pernald worked at a PR firm for several years. However, the prince and Pernald broke off their relationship in March 2009. She revealed in the Swedish newspaper Expressen that she and the prince mutually decided to go their separate ways. Pernald made no further comment as to the reason for the break-up.
In April 2010, Carl Philip was linked in the press with former semi-nude glamour model Sofia Hellqvist. In August 2010, Royal Court spokesperson, Nina Eldh, confirmed the relationship between Carl Philip and Hellqvist in a statement released by the palace. On 27 June 2014, it was announced that Carl Philip was engaged to Hellqvist. They married on 13 June 2015 in the Stockholm's Royal Palace chapel, where thousands of people lined the street for the occasion. In an interview he criticized the press for suggesting that Sofia Hellqvist was not welcome in the royal family. He told the press that the opposite was true and that his family easily accepted her into the family. He compared the "bullying" of her past to that of himself being bullied for having dyslexia.
Titles, styles, and honours
Titles and styles
- 13 May 1979 – 31 December 1979: His Royal Highness The Crown Prince of Sweden, Duke of Värmland
- 1 January 1980 – present: His Royal Highness Prince Carl Philip of Sweden, Duke of Värmland
- Sweden :
- Knight of the Order of Charles XIII (since birth, 13 May 1979; as HRH is not a member of the Swedish Rite of Freemasonry it is not worn)
- Knight with Collar of the Royal Order of the Seraphim (13 May 1997)
- Commander of the Royal Order of the Polar Star (KNO)
- HM King Carl XVI Gustaf 50th Anniversary Medal (30 April 1996)
- Commemorative Ruby Jubilee Medal of His Majesty The King (15 September 2013)
- Commemorative Medal of The Wedding of Victoria, Crown Princess of Sweden, and Daniel Westling (19 June 2010) 
- Brazil : Grand Cross of the Order of Rio Branco (2007) 
- Estonia : Order of the Cross of Terra Mariana, First Class (18/01/2011)
- Finland : Grand Cross of the Order of the White Rose of Finland (17 April 2012) 
- Germany : Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany (2003)
- Greece : Grand Cross of the Order of Honour (21/05/2008)
- Jordan : Grand Cordon of the Order of the Star of Jordan (2003) 
- Latvia : Grand Officer of the Order of the Three Stars (2005) 
- Luxembourg : Grand Cross of the Order of Adolphe of Nassau (04/2008)
- Malaysia : Commander of the Order of Loyalty to the Crown of Malaysia (P.S.M. - 2005) 
- Norway : Grand Cross of the Royal Norwegian Order of St. Olav (01/09/2005) 
- Romania : Grand Cross of the Order of Faithful Service (2008)
- "Prince Carl Philip on his university diploma in Agricultural and Rural Management". Swedish Royal Court. 2011-12-XX. Retrieved 2012-05-25. Check date values in:
- Streib, Lauren (27 May 2008). "The 20 Hottest Young Royals – 9. Prince Carl Philip". Forbes. Retrieved 19 June 2010.
- "Reality starlet to wed prince in Swedish fairytale". Yahoo News. 11 June 2015. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "Sweden royal wedding: Prince Carl Philip to marry ex-reality star". BBC News. Retrieved 13 June 2015.
- Squires, Nick (8 April 2010). "Swedish prince has relationship with glamour model". The Daily Telegraph (UK). Retrieved 19 June 2010.
- "Vigsel mellan Prins Carl Philip och fröken Sofia Hellqvist". Retrieved 23 October 2014.
- "Swedish prince angry over press 'bullying'". Retrieved 20 October 2014.
- Régine. "La reine Silvia et le princesse Madeleine de Suède au mariage de la princesse Victoria". Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- HKH Hertigens av Värmland serafimervapen imageshack.us
- Riddare/Ledamot/av andliga ståndet och Kommendör av Kungl. Maj:ts Orden R/LoKavKMO medalj.nu
- "La Familia Real sueca al completo vuelve a vestir sus mejores galas". http://us.hola.com. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "Haakon de Noruega con Marius y Victoria de Suecia se reincorporan a las celebraciones de los Premios Nobel". http://us.hola.com. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- Europa Press. "La Princesa Estelle, estrella del 40 aniversario de su abuelo, el Rey Carlos Gustavo de Suecia". Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- "Medal image". Retrieved 18 November 2014.
- State visit of Lula da Silva in 2007, ANP Photo of Victoria, Carl Philip & Madeleine
- Insignia of the Order of Rio Branco
- DECRETO DE 5 DE SETEMBRO DE 2007 - website JusBrasil
- Estonian State Decorations, Carl Philip - website of the President of Estonia (Estonian)
- Swedish Royal Website (Swedish), Gala dinner with photos 1-6-7
- "Noblesse et Royautés" website (French), State visit of Estonian presidential couple in Sweden (18-20/01/2011)
- Blog "Scandinavian Royals", Photo of Daniel and Carl-Philipp wearing the order
- Gallery on www.theroyalforums.com, State visit of President Johannes Rau in Sweden in 2003 : Carl Philip's photo
- Gala dinner during the state visit of Greek President Karolos Papoulias (21/05/2008)
- State visit of Jordan in Sweden (2003), Photo of Prince Carl Philip with Princess Madeleine, both wearing the order
- State visit of Jordan in Sweden (2003), Photo of Princess Liliane with Carl Philip, Madeleine & Victoria
- State visit of Latvia in Sweden (2005), Gala dinner, Carl Philip's photo
- Swedish Royal website (Swedish), State visit of Grand-Dukes of Luxembourg in Sweden, gala dinner 15/04/2008
- Luxembourgish Grand-Ducal website (French), State visit of Grand-Dukes of Luxembourg in Sweden, gala dinner 15/04/2008
- AMP Picture, State visit of Grand-Dukes of Luxembourg in Sweden, gala dinner on 15/04/2008
- theroyalforums.com : Photo of Prince Carl Philip with Princesses Madeleine & Liliane
- "kongehuset.no - Tildelinger av ordener og medaljer". 1 February 2008. Retrieved 11 June 2015.
- Recipients of Order of Faithful Service (excel file)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prince Carl Philip, Duke of Värmland.|
- The Royal Court of Sweden: Prince Carl Philip
- Bernadotte and Galliera princely inheritance (in Swedish)
Prince Carl Philip, Duke of VärmlandBorn: 13 May 1979
Title last held byCarl Gustaf
|Crown Prince of Sweden
Title last held byGustaf
|Duke of Värmland
|Lines of succession|
|Line of succession to the Swedish throne