Prince Ludwig August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
|This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Prince Ludwig August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha|
8 August 1845|
Château d'Eu, Eu, France
|Died||14 September 1907
Karlsbad, Bohemia, Austria-Hungary
|Burial||St. Augustin, Coburg, Germany|
|Spouse||Princess Leopoldina of Brazil|
|House||Saxe-Coburg and Gotha-Koháry|
|Father||Prince August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha|
|Mother||Clémentine of Orléans|
Prince Ludwig August Maria Eudes of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (8 August 1845 – 14 September 1907), known in Brazil as Dom Luís Augusto, was a German prince of the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha-Koháry and an imperial Brazilian Admiral.
He was born Prince Ludwig August Maria Eudes of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha at the Château d'Eu in France. He was the second son of Prince August of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Clémentine of Orléans. His father was a first cousin of Victoria of the United Kingdom and her consort, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. Through his mother he was a grandson of Louis-Philippe I, King of the French, the last king to rule France.
Marriage and family
Ludwig August and his double first cousin, the French Prince Gaston, comte d'Eu (son of Victoire, sister of August's father) were imported to Brazil in order to marry the two daughters of the Emperor Pedro II of Brazil: Isabel, the elder, and Leopoldina, the younger. The original plan was for August to marry Isabel and Gaston Leopoldina, but the girls decided otherwise and the Emperor, having himself experienced the unhappinesses of an arranged dynastic marriage, agreed to their wishes.
Ludwig August and Leopoldina married in Rio de Janeiro on 15 December 1864, two months after the wedding of Isabel and Gaston. They had four sons:
- Peter August Ludwig Maria Michael Gabriel Raphael Gonzaga (Rio de Janeiro, 19 May 1866 – Vienna, 6 July 1934); successor of his father in 1907. Peter died unmarried and was succeeded by his nephew Rainer.
- August Leopold Philipp Maria Michael Gabriel Raphael Gonzaga (Rio de Janeiro, 6 December 1867 – Schladming, 11 October 1922).
- Joseph Ferdinand Maria Michael Gabriel Raphael Gonzaga (Petrópolis, 21 May 1869 – Vienna, 13 August 1888).
- Ludwig Gaston Klemens Maria Michael Gabriel Raphael Gonzaga (Ebenthal, 15 September 1870 – Innsbruck, 23 January 1942); married Princess Mathilde of Bavaria.
His wife died young, aged 23, in 1871. He died on 14 September 1907 in Karlsbad, Germany, aged 62.
|This section does not cite any sources. (August 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
- Marek, Miroslav. "Genealogy". Genealogy.EU.