Prince Maurits of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven
Before the succession of his cousin Willem-Alexander as King, he was a member of the Dutch Royal House and tenth in the line of succession to the Dutch throne. With Willem-Alexander's succession however, he is no longer a member of the Dutch Royal House, and is no longer in line to direct succession to the Dutch throne.
Maurits was born in 17 April 1968. His godparents are Princess Christina of the Netherlands, Prince Alois-Konstantin of Lowenstein-Wertheim-Rosenberg, Jhr. G. Krayenhof, and The Dutch Merchant Fleet.
Life and career
In 1987, van Vollenhoven performed military service with the Royal Netherlands Marine Corps and the Royal Netherlands Navy. He graduated at University of Groningen in 1995, where he obtained a MSc degree in Economics. After his study he worked for the Schiphol Airport Authority, where he occupied several positions, including Senior Manager of Passenger Services. From September 2001 to May 2006, the prince worked for Philips (Domestic Appliances and Personal Care) in Amersfoort, where he was in charge of part of the Philishave portfolio.
In May 2006, van Vollenhoven started his own business, The Source, which focuses on innovative concepts for products, services and systems for both business and government. Since 1 May 2013, Maurits is Aide-de-camp to King Willem-Alexander and promoted to the rank of Commander (Dutch: Kapitein-luitenant ter Zee) in the Royal Netherlands Navy.
Marriage and family
In 1989, van Vollenhoven met Marilène (Marie-Helène) van den Broek b. 4 February 1970), the youngest daughter of Hans van den Broek and Josee van den Broek-van Schendel. Their civil marriage ceremony was in Apeldoorn on 29 May 1998, followed by a religious ceremony on 30 May.
Princess Marilène has given birth to three children:
- (Anna) Anastasia Margriet Joséphine van Lippe-Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven, born in Amsterdam on 15 April 2001, her godparents are Prince Bernhard(paternal uncle) and Mrs. Caroline van Weede-van den Broek (maternal aunt)
- Lucas Maurits Pieter Henri van Lippe-Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven, born in Amsterdam on 26 October 2002.
- Felicia Juliana Bénedicte Barbara van Lippe-Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven, born in Amsterdam on 31 May 2005, her godparents are Prince Floris (paternal uncle), Prince Constantijn (father's first cousin) and Barbara Ruding. 
By Royal Decree of 26 May 1998, the children of van Vollenhoven bear the surname "van Lippe-Biesterfeld van Vollenhoven".
Upon the abdication of Queen Beatrix, which took place on 30 April 2013, it was confirmed that the children of Princess Margriet and Pieter van Vollenhoven would no longer be eligible succeed to the throne, and that they would also cease to be members of the Royal House according to The Membership of the Royal House Act. The Act specifies that only those within "three degrees of kinship" to the monarch can be in the line of succession. The exclusion is not permanent. Princess Margriet would succeed in the unlikely event that the King and his daughters die or become ineligible to succeed, and her children would be restored to the Royal House and line of succession.
|Ancestors of Prince Maurits of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven|
- Current line of succession – Official website of the Dutch Royal House
- "Prince Maurits". Dutch Royal House. Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- "Princess Margriet". Dutch Royal House. Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- "Education". Dutch Royal House. Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- Prince Maurits
- "Royal weddings in history". Vogue.
- "Marriage and family". Dutch Royal House. Retrieved 4 May 2010.
- "Prince of Orange to become King Willem-Alexander, 28 January 2013". Dutch Royal House.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Prince Maurits of Orange-Nassau, van Vollenhoven.|