Max-Emanuel Ludwig Maria Herzog in Bayern, sometimes styled Prince Max of Bavaria, Duke in Bavaria, born 21 January 1937 as son of Albrecht, Duke of Bavaria, is the heir presumptive to both the headship of the former Bavarian Royal House and the Jacobite Succession. He was born a Prince of Bavaria, as a member of the royal line of the House of Wittelsbach, but has been using the title "Herzog in Bayern" or Duke in Bavaria, since he was adopted as an adult by his great-uncle, Duke Ludwig Wilhelm in Bavaria, the last bearer of that title of a junior branch of the House of Wittelsbach, from whom he inherited considerable estates at Tegernsee Abbey (including a brewery), Banz Abbey and Kreuth.
Max married the Swedish Countess Elisabeth Douglas, (granddaughter of a general, Count Archibald Douglas), in a civil ceremony in Kreuth on 10 January 1967 and in a religious ceremony in Munich on 24 January 1967. They have five daughters:
- Duchess Sophie Elizabeth Marie Gabrielle in Bavaria (born 28 October 1967 in Munich). She married Alois, Hereditary Prince of Liechtenstein on 3 July 1993 in Vaduz. They have four children:
- Prince Joseph Wenzel Maximilian Maria of Liechtenstein (born 24 May 1995 in London)
- Princess Marie-Caroline Elisabeth Immaculata of Liechtenstein (born 17 October 1996 in Grabs, Canton of St. Gallen)
- Prince Georg Antonius Constantin Maria of Liechtenstein (born 20 April 1999 in Grabs)
- Prince Nikolaus Sebastian Alexander Maria of Liechtenstein (born 6 December 2000, in Grabs)
- Duchess Marie-Caroline Hedwig Eleonore in Bavaria (born 23 June 1969 in Munich). She married Duke Philipp of Württemberg (son of Carl, Duke of Württemberg and Princess Diane of Orléans) in a civil ceremony in Altshausen and a religious ceremony on 27 July 1991 in Tegernsee. They have four children:
- Duchess Sophie Anastasia Assunta Marie Pauline of Württemberg (born 15 January 1994 in Munich)
- Duchess Pauline Philippa Adelheid Helena Marie of Württemberg (born 15 April 1997 in London)
- Duke Carl-Theodor Philipp Maria Max Emanuel of Württemberg (born 15 June 1999 in London)
- Duchess Anna Maximiliana Elizabeth Mariella Marie of Württemberg (born 1 February 2007 in London)
- Duchess Helena Eugenie Maria Donatha Mechthild in Bavaria (born 6 May 1972 in Munich)
- Duchess Elisabeth Marie Christine Franziska in Bavaria (born 4 October 1973 in Munich). She married Daniel Terberger (born 1 June 1967) on 25 September 2004. They have two children:
- Maximilian Ludwig Terberger (born 30 August 2005 in Bielefeld)
- Ottora Elisabeth Victoria Lucia Terberger (born 13 December 2007)
- Duchess Maria-Anna Henriette Gabrielle Julie in Bavaria (born 7 May 1975 in Munich). She married 8 September 2007 Klaus Runow (born 3 July 1964), an investment banker. They have two sons:
- Heinrich Maria Leopold Maximilian Runow (born 3 May 2010 in Munich)
- Johannes Emanuel Philipp Maria Runow (born 24 March 2012)
Max and Elisabeth live at Schloss Tegernsee and Schloss Wildenwart.
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Technical University of Munich.
- Member of the Board of Trustees of the Friends of the Pinakothek der Moderne (the modern art museum in Munich).
- Member of the Board of Directors of TAG Tegernseebahn Immobilien- und Beteiligungs Aktiengesellschaft (a real estate corporation centred in the Tegernsee Valley).
- President of the Chiemgau Golf Club (since 1987).
- President of the Wittelsbacher Golf Club in Rohrenfeld-Neuburg.
|Ancestors of Prince Max, Duke in Bavaria