Prince Said Ibrahim International Airport
|Prince Said Ibrahim International Airport|
Moroni Hahaya International Airport
Air Tanzania B737 at the airport
|Hub for||Comores Aviation|
|Elevation AMSL||28 m / 92 ft|
Prince Said Ibrahim International Airport (IATA: HAH, ICAO: FMCH) (French: Aéroport international Moroni Prince Saïd Ibrahim, AIMPSI) is an international airport serving Moroni in Comoros. It is named after Prince Said Ibrahim. It is located north of the village of Hahaya.
Airlines and destinations
Accidents and incidents
- On 23 November 1996, Ethiopian Airlines Flight 961, a Boeing 767-200ER flying from Addis Ababa to Abidjan with several stopovers was hijacked over Ethiopia by three Ethiopians seeking asylum in Australia. The plane crash-landed in the water three hours later when it ran out of fuel. 125 of the 175 passengers and crew were killed, including the three hijackers. The pilot's initial decision to land at the airport was thwarted due to the fuel starvation.
- On 30 June 2009, Yemenia Flight 626, flying from Yemen to Moroni crashed into the Indian Ocean while on final approach to the airport. 152 out of the 153 people onboard were killed.
- On 27 November 2012 an IInt'Air Îles Embraer EMB 120ER Brasilia (registration number D6-HUA) was underway from Moroni to Anjouan (both in Comoros Islands) on a charter flight with 25 passengers and 4 crew, when after taking off from Moroni's Prince Said Ibrahim International Airport it lost height, and while attempting to return to the airport, waterlanded 200 meters off the coast, about 5 km north of the airport. Local fishermen rescued everybody on board. There were only minor injuries.
While the runway is considered long enough for modern jetliners, landings can still prove difficult because of frequently changing weather conditions and the surrounding mountains of the island.
- "Comores-Maurice: signature d'un accord de coopération - Le Mauricien". 15 March 2018. Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- 2017, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Ethiopian Airlines adds Comores operation from Nov 2016". Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- 2018, UBM (UK) Ltd. "Turkish Airlines adds seasonal Comoros service in S18". Retrieved 10 May 2018.
- Thorpe. The Pearson Concise General Knowledge Manual 2010 (New Edition). Pearson Education India. pp. 146–. ISBN 978-81-317-2766-9.
- Simon Hradecky. "Accident: Inter Iles E120 near Moroni on Nov 27th 2012, engine trouble, ditched in the Ocean". Aviation Herald. Retrieved 27 November 2012.
- AIP Data
- Airport chart
- Accident history for HAH at Aviation Safety Network
- Airport information for FMCH at Great Circle Mapper. Source: DAFIF (effective October 2006).
- Current weather for FMCH at NOAA/NWS
- Airport information for FMCH at World Aero Data. Data current as of October 2006.Source: DAFIF.