Prince Vincent of Denmark
Prince Vincent of Denmark, Count of Monpezat (Vincent Frederik Minik Alexander; born 8 January 2011), is the third child and younger son of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary, the sixth grandchild and youngest grandson of Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, and the twin brother of Princess Josephine.
Vincent was born at Rigshospitalet, the Copenhagen University Hospital, in Copenhagen, at 10:30 am local time, 26 minutes before his twin sister. Shortly after the birth, while speaking to the press, the Crown Prince joked about calling his newborn son Elvis, as the twins share a birthday with the "King of Rock and Roll".
In 2009, the Danish constitution was altered, granting absolute primogeniture to the Danish throne, meaning that the eldest child, regardless of gender, takes precedence in the line of succession. Under the old system of male-preference primogeniture, Vincent would have displaced his elder sister Isabella in the line of succession; with the new law, he comes directly after her instead. As a descendant of Queen Victoria of the United Kingdom, Vincent is also in the line of succession to the British throne (and the thrones of the other Commonwealth realms), where he does take precedence over Isabella, because those realms followed the custom of male-preference primogeniture at the time of his birth and only affected those in line born after 28 October 2011.
Vincent and his sister were christened on 14 April 2011, at the chapel of the Church of Holmen. His name was announced as Vincent Frederik Minik Alexander. His godparents are his maternal uncle John Stuart Donaldson, his father's first cousin the Hereditary Prince of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg, Felipe VI of Spain, Count Michael Ahlefeldt-Laurvig-Bille, Baroness Helle Reedtz-Thott and Caroline Heering.
On 3 August 2014, during the family's official visit to Greenland, Vincent, his parents and siblings, took part in a tree planting in Qaqortoq's new poplar grove, Ivalos og Miniks Poppellund, named after Vincent and his sister who are known by their Greenlandic middle names in Greenland.
Titles and styles
Honours and decorations
- 14 January 2012: Commemorative Ruby Jubilee Medal of Her Majesty The Queen
- 16 April 2015: Commemorative 75th Birthday Medal of Her Majesty The Queen
|Ancestors of Prince Vincent of Denmark|
- "A Prince and a Princess are born".
- Kronprinsesse Mary har født
- The Royal Twins of Denmark Make Public Debut. SugarSlam.com, 14 January 2011. Retrieved 14 February 2011.
- "Barnedåb i Holmens Kirke den 14. april 2011" (in Danish). Kongehuset. Retrieved 12 January 2016.
- "TRÆPLANTNING I QAQORTOQ". Kongehuset.dk. 3 August 2014. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "Billedgalleri fra Qaqortoq: Kronprinsfamilien fik træer". sermitsiaq.ag. 3 August 2014. Retrieved 6 August 2014.
- "His Royal Highness Prince Vincent". Danish Royal Court. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
Prince Vincent of DenmarkBorn: 8 January 2011
|Lines of succession|
Princess Isabella of Denmark
|Line of succession to the Danish throne
Princess Josephine of Denmark
Prince Christian of Denmark
|Line of succession to the British throne
descended from Arthur, son of Victoria
Princess Isabella of Denmark