Prince Welf Ernst of Hanover
|Prince Welf Ernst|
|Prince Welf Ernst of Hanover|
|Born||25 January 1947|
Schloss Marienburg, Nordstemmen, Lower Saxony, Allied-occupied Germany
|Died||10 January 1981 (aged 33)|
Poona, Maharashtra, India
Wibke 'Turiya' van Gunsteren (m. 1969)
|Issue||Princess Saskia of Hanover|
|Father||Prince George William of Hanover|
|Mother||Princess Sophie of Greece and Denmark|
Prince Welf Ernst of Hanover (Welf Ernst August Andreas Philipp Georg Wilhelm Ludwig Berthold Prinz von Hannover), Duke of Brunswick-Lüneburg (25 January 1947 – 10 January 1981) was the eldest son of Prince George William of Hanover and his wife Princess Sophie of Greece and Denmark, sister of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh. Welf was a first cousin of Charles, Prince of Wales. The prince used the name Welf Prinz von Hannover.
Born in Lower Saxony at the Hanover family seat of Schloss Marienburg, Welf was raised in Munich. In 1969 the prince married Wibke van Gunsteren. Welf and his wife became disciples of Osho, taking the names Vimalkirti ("Spotless splendour") and Wibke Prem Turiya ("Spiritual love"). In 1975 Welf and Wibke along with their five-year-old daughter Tania Saskia, moved to Poona, India to live in Osho's ashram.
Marriage and issue
Welf married Wibke Christians (born 26 November 1948 at Lübbecke, Westphalia, Germany), daughter of Dr Hans Daniel Christians and Ursula Schmidt-Prange (later Mrs Harry Van Gunsteren), on 23 May 1969 in a civil ceremony. They were married two days later in a religious ceremony at Essen-Bredeney in Essen, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. Although many genealogical sources record the opposite, Welf Ernst and Wibke were not divorced in 1979, but lived together (un-divorced) up to his death. They had one daughter:
- Princess Tania Saskia Viktoria-Luise of Hanover (born 24 July 1970 at Duisburg, North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany). Princess Saskia's first husband was Michael Alexander Naylor-Leyland (14 July 1956 -16 October 2015) whom she married on 6 July 1990. They have two children:
- Princess Saskia married her second husband, Edward Hooper, on 27 January 2001. They have one son:
- Louis Ivan Welf Otto Hooper (born 6 April 2007)
Patrilineal descent, descent from father to son, is the principle behind membership in royal houses, as it can be traced back through the generations - which means that the historically accurate royal house of monarchs of the House of Hanover was the House of Lucca (or Este, or Welf).
This is the descent of the primary male heir. For the complete expanded family tree, see List of members of the House of Hanover.
- Darryl Lundy (10 May 2003). "Welf Ernst Hanover, Prince of Hanover". ThePeerage.com. Retrieved 2008-08-17.
- Wilhelm Bittorf (3 February 1981). "Ein Welfe im Nirwana: Der Tod eines deutschen Prinzen, der für Bhagwan lebte". Der Spiegel. Retrieved 2008-09-20. External link in
- Eilers, Marlene. Queen Victoria's Daughters. Rosvall Royal Books, Falkoping, Sweden, 1997. P.173, note 41. ISBN 91-630-5964-9
- Eilers, Marlene (1997). Queen Victoria's Descendants. Sweden: Rosvall. pp. 25–26, 129. ISBN 91-630-5964-9.
- Henri van Oene (22 October 2001). "HRH Prince Georg Wilhelm and his descendants". Henri van Oene's Royal Genealogies Page. Archived from the original on 2009-08-08. Retrieved 2008-08-18. External link in
- Lynsey Ayers (8 May 2007). "Descendants of Queen Victoria of Great Britain and Ireland: Seventh Generation". Descendants of Queen Victoria of Great Britain and Ireland. Retrieved 2008-08-18. External link in