Prince William County Department of Parks & Recreation
|Annual budget||$30.6 million (FY14)|
The Prince William County Department of Parks & Recreation is responsible for developing and maintaining the various parks, historical sites, and recreational areas owned by Prince William County. The Department manages nearly 4,000 acres (16 km²) of park land.
The Prince William County Park Authority was founded in 1977 by the Prince William Board of County Supervisors to provide the residents and visitors with recreational programs, parks and facilities until Prince William Board of County Supervisors dissolved Park Authority and created a new Prince William County Department of Parks & Recreation as of July 1, 2012.
The Prince William County Department of Parks & Recreation operates 50 Parks, 2 Water Parks, 2 Recreation Centers (Birchdale Rec. Center and Sharron Baucom Dale City Rec. Center), 2 Community Centers, 6 Sports Complexes, and 1 Ice Skating Rink.
The headquarters is in the Hellwig Administration Building in Manassas, VA.
Parks and Recreation Commission
The Parks Commission acts as an advisory body to the Board of County Supervisors on issues pertaining to parks and recreation, for the citizens of Prince William County. The Commission has eight members, appointed by the Board of County Supervisors, one member to represent their respective district, and one “At-Large” member appointed by the chairman of the Board of County Supervisors.
- At - Large George Delimba (Vice Chairman)
- Brentsville District Brian Vargo
- Coles District Jane Beyer (Chairman)
- Gainesville District Jeffery Bergman
- Neabsco District Duane York
- Occoquan District Brodie Freer
- Potomac District Brenda Gardziel
- Woodbridge District Zoe Vitter
- Secretary to The Commission Shannon Jaenicke
- Splash Down Waterpark, a waterpark in Manassas.