Princess Aisha bint Hussein
|Princess Aisha bint Hussein|
|Born||23 April 1968|
|Spouse||Zeid Saadedine Juma |
(m. 1990; div. ?)
(m. 2016; div. 2016)
|Father||Hussein of Jordan|
|Jordanian Royal family|
Princess Aisha bint Hussein (Arabic: الأميرة عائشة بنت الحسين) (born 23 April 1968) is the sister of King Abdullah II of Jordan and is the twin sister of Princess Zein. Her parents are Princess Muna and King Hussein.
Aisha was born in Amman, Jordan. She was educated up to age eight in Jordan, at the American community school (In the same class as her sister Zein, for all or almost all of the time). She moved to the U.S. to pursue her education for ten years. She attended Holton-Arms School in Bethesda, MD, through the 8th grade. She graduated from Dana Hall School in Wellesley, Massachusetts, in 1986. She then attended the Royal Military Academy Sandhurst in the United Kingdom, completing the officer’s training course in 1987. She then completed an undergraduate degree in Modern Middle East History and Politics from Pembroke College, Oxford. In June 2010 she completed her Masters of Arts degree in Strategic Security Studies at the College of International Security Affairs (CISA), at the National Defense University, Washington D.C., USA.
Hussein is a major general in the Jordanian military and became the first female in the Middle East to receive her parachutist wings after completing five military parachute jumps, according to her official biography.
She successfully completed her officers’ training course at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, in the United Kingdom in April 1987, following her arrival as the first Middle East woman to attend the academy. After graduation from Sandhurst, the princess served in Jordan’s special forces and completed several additional parachuting courses.
Since 1996, she has taken part in several conferences by the Defense Department Advisory Committee on Women. She is a member of NATO’s Mediterranean Dialogue and serves as a Jordanian expert in the internationally staffed NATO Human Factors and Medicine Research Task Group 140, on psychological, organizational and cultural aspects of terrorism, in all matters military and civilian.
She successfully completed numerous military courses, including Security and Protection with the Jordanian Royal Guards, Senior International Defense Management from the U.S. Naval Postgraduate School at the Defense Resources Management Institute in Monterey, California. She has also completed an open water diving course at the Scuba Schools International in New Jersey. She travels abroad frequently to further enhance her knowledge of military-related issues, particularly the role of women in the military.
She is currently assigned as the defense attaché with the Jordanian embassy to the United States.
In 1990, Aisha married Zeid Saadedine Juma in Amman. The couple later divorced. She currently resides in the United States of America and has a son, Aoun Juma, born on May 27, 1992 and a daughter, Muna Juma, born on July 18, 1996. Aoun Juma is expected to study at the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst.
On January 27, 2016, Princess Aisha married Ashraf Banayoti, previously called Edward Banayoti and before that called Ernest Anderson. Edward Banayoti took the Muslim name Ashraf Banayoti when he converted to Islam. Princess Aisha and Ashraf Banayoti divorced in 2016, according to the Royal Hashemite Court.
Titles, styles and honours
- Jordan: Knight Grand Cordon of the Supreme Order of the Renaissance, Special Class
- Jordan: Knight Grand Cordon of the Order of the Star of Jordan
- Jordan: Knight Grand Cordon of the Order of Independence
- Jordan: Knight Grand Cordon of the Order of Military Merit
- Jordan: Recipient of the Al-Hussein Medal of Excellence, 1st Class
- Jordan: Recipient of the Administrative & Leadership Competence Medal
- Jordan: Recipient of the Administrative & Technical Competence Medal
- Jordan: Recipient of the Great Ramadan War Medal
- Jordan: Recipient of the King Hussein II Ruby Jubilee Medal
- Brunei: Knight Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of Merit
- Italy: Grand Cross of the Order of Merit of the Italian Republic
- "Muslims must fight extremists' ideology, Jordanian princess says". TBO.com. 25 February 2015.
- "Princess Aisha marries Ashraf Banayotti". Jordan Times.
- "Princess Aisha, Edward Banayoti divorced". Jordan Times. 1 July 2016. Retrieved 27 March 2017.
- imageupper.com, Princess Aisha wearing most of her Jordanian decorations and Italian Order Archived 2017-02-05 at the Wayback Machine
- purepeople.com, Princess Aisha wearing the Star of the Order of the Renaissance and Order of Merit of Brunei
- imageupper.com, Princess Aisha wearing her lesser honours and medals
- jordanembassyus.org, some of Princess Aisha's honours listed
- "Her Royal Highness Princess Aisha Bint Al Hussein"[permanent dead link], Embassy and Consulate of Jordan: Australia and New Zealand; URL last accessed 2 March 2006.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Princess Aisha bint Al Hussein.|