Amalie Auguste of Bavaria
|This article needs additional or better citations for verification. (June 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Amalie Auguste of Bavaria|
|Queen consort of Saxony|
Amalie Auguste, Princess of Bavaria and Queen of Saxony, c. 1823.
13 November 1801|
Munich, Electorate of Bavaria
|Died||8 November 1877
|Burial||Katholische Hofkirche, Dresden|
|Spouse||John, King of Saxony|
|Albert, King of Saxony
Maria Elisabeth, Duchess of Genoa
George, King of Saxony
Anna, Grand Duchess of Tuscany
Archduchess Margaretha of Austria
Sophie, Duchess in Bavaria
|Father||Maximilian I Joseph of Bavaria|
|Mother||Caroline of Baden|
Amalie was the fourth child of King Maximilian I Joseph of Bavaria and his second wife Caroline of Baden. She was the identical twin sister of Elisabeth Louise, later Queen of Prussia as wife of Frederick William IV of Prussia. Three other sisters married King Frederick Augustus II of Saxony, Archduke Franz Karl of Austria and Maximilian Joseph, Duke in Bavaria.
In 1851 Amalie Auguste became chairman of Women's Association of Dresden (Frauenverein zu Dresden), an organisation founded by her sister, the then queen. In 1859 she reorganized it as the Zentralausschuß obererzgebirgischen und der vogtländischen Frauenvereine and established a legal basis for it, under which the organisation continued until 1932.
Marriage and issue
Amalie Auguste married on 21 November 1822 Prince John of Saxony, who became King of Saxony between 1854 and 1873. John and Amelia had nine children:
- Marie Auguste Friederike (1827–1857)
- Albert (1828–1902). Married Princess Carola, daughter of Crown Prince Gustav of Sweden
- Maria Elisabeth (1830–1912). Married first Ferdinando, Prince of Savoy and Sardinia, and second Niccolò, Marchese Rapallo.
- Friedrich August Ernst (1831–1847)
- George (1832–1904). Married Infanta Maria Anna of Portugal
- Maria Sidonia (1834–1862)
- Anna (1836–1859). Married Ferdinand IV, Grand Duke of Tuscany.
- Margaretha (1840–1858). Married her cousin Archduke Carl Ludwig of Austria.
- Sophie (1845–1867). Married her cousin Karl-Theodor, Duke in Bavaria (brother of Empress Elisabeth of Austria).
- Petermann, Karl: Der König Johann und die Königin Amalie von Sachsen, sowie die Feier ihres goldenen Ehejubiläums; in: Erzählungen. O.Author, o.J.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Amalie Auguste von Bayern.|
Amalie Auguste of Bavaria
Cadet branch of the House of WittelsbachBorn: 13 November 1801 Died: 8 November 1877
Maria Anna of Bavaria
|Queen consort of Saxony
9 August 1854 – 29 October 1873
Carola of Vasa