Basma bint Talal
||This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (November 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
|Princess Royal of Jordan|
11 May 1951 |
|Spouse||Colonel Timoor Daghistani (1970-1980)
Walid al-Kurdi (1980-present)
|Issue||Farah Al Daghistani
Ghazi Al Daghistani
Saad Al Walid
Zein Al Sharaf Al Walid
|Father||Talal of Jordan|
|Mother||Zein al-Sharaf Talal|
Princess Basma bint Talal of Jordan, (born Amman, Jordan, on 11 May 1951) is the only daughter of King Talal and Queen Zein al-Sharaf Talal, sister of King Hussein of Jordan and paternal aunt to the current King, King Abdullah II. Princess Basma is often considered the equivalent Princess Royal of Jordan.
Basma's father became King of Jordan two months after she was born as a result of the assassination of her grandfather King Abdullah I in Jerusalem. King Talal was forced to abdicate as King for health reasons in 1952, when Basma was one year old. He lived on until 1972. Her mother was Queen Zein (1916–1994). After her father's abdication, her older brother Hussein (1935–1999) ascended the throne, and her mother was Queen Regent until Hussein came of age in 1953.
|Jordanian royal family|
In 2001, she was awarded a DPhil degree by Oxford University for a thesis entitled Contextualising development in Jordan: the arena of donors, state and NGOs.
Marriage and career
- Farah Al Daghistani (born 25 March 1971), married 23 September 2004 Saud Abdul Aziz Suleiman.
- Ghazi Al Daghistani (born 21 July 1974), married on 7 September 2006 Samanta Mahdi Saifi.
- Saad Al Walid (born 8 November 1982).
- Zein Al Sharaf Al Walid (born 1 June 1986).
Since the late 1970s, Basma has worked to promote human development, gender equity and children's charities. Through forums that include the United Nations she contributes to the global debates on health, education, population and the environment.
- President of the Jordanian National Commission for Women (JNCW)
- President of the Jordanian Association for Boy Scouts and Girl Guides
- President of Mabarrat Um al Hussein
- President of Goodwill Campaign
- Chairperson of the Jordanian Hashemite Fund for Human Development
- President of Save The Children-Jordan (SCJ)
- President of the Jordanian National Forum for Women (JNFW)
- Honorary President of the General Federation of Jordanian Women (GFJW)
- Member of Board of Trustees for the Higher Population Council
- Member of the World Health Organization's Adolescent Health Programme Scientific and Technical Advisory Group, 1991–1993
- Honorary Human Development Ambassador of the United Nations Development Programme since 1993
- Member of the World Health Organization Global Commission on Women's Health, 1994
- Goodwill Ambassador of the United Nations Development Fund for Women since 1995
- Member of the United Nations High-Level Advisory Board on Sustainable Development to the Secretary-General Boutros Boutros-Ghali, 1995–1998
- Member of the Earth Council since 1996
- Member of UNESCO Culture and Development Steering Committee, 1996–1997
- Member of UNESCO International Panel on Democracy and Development, 1998
- Member of UNESCO Scientific Committee for the World Culture Report, 1998–2000
- Goodwill Ambassador of the United Nations Population Fund’s (UNFPA) since 2001 
- Member of the International Advisory Board of the International Council on Social Welfare since 2001
- Member of the Earth Charter International Commission.
Title, styles and honours
- 11 May 1951 – Present: Her Royal Highness Princess Basma bint Talal of Jordan
- Austria: Grand Cross of the Order for Services to the Republic of Austria
- Brunei: Knight Grand Cross with Collar of the Order of the Most Esteemed Family Order of Brunei, Special Class
- Iranian Imperial Family: Recipient of the Commemorative Medal of the 2,500 year Celebration of the Persian Empire
- Japan: Paulownia Dame Grand Cordon of the Order of the Precious Crown
- Spain: Knight Grand Cross of the Order of Isabella the Catholic
- Sweden: Member Grand Cross of the Royal Order of the Polar Star
- United Kingdom: Knight Grand Cross of the Royal Victorian Order
- Indonesia: Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws of the As-Syafiiyah Islamic University
- Japan: Dr. Jushichiro Naito International Childcare Award
- United Kingdom
- United Nations: Woman of the Year 1995 of the Arab Regional Preparatory Meeting for the Fourth World Conference on Women
- United States
- World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts: World Citizenship Award
|Ancestors of Basma bint Talal|
- "United Nations Population Fund". UNFPA.
- princessbasma.jo, Information of Princess Basma's Honours and awards
- Boletín Oficial del Estado