Princess Caroline Mathilde of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Princess Caroline Matilda|
|Countess of Castell-Rüdenhausen|
|Born||22 June 1912|
Schloss Callenberg, Coburg
|Died||5 September 1983 (aged 71)|
Friedrich, Count of Castell-Rüdenhausen
(m. 1931; div. 1938)
(m. 1938; died 1944)
(m. 1946; div. 1947)
|Issue||Count Bertram of Castell-Rüdenhausen|
Count Conradin of Castell-Rüdenhausen
Countess Victoria of Castell-Rüdenhausen
Calma Schnirring Cook
Dagmar Schnirring Schäl
|House||Saxe-Coburg and Gotha|
|Father||Charles Edward, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha|
|Mother||Princess Victoria Adelaide of Schleswig-Holstein|
Princess Caroline Matilda of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (Caroline Matilda Helen Louise Augusta Beatrice; 22 June 1912 – 5 September 1983) was a German princess, and a great-granddaughter of Queen Victoria.
Princess Caroline Matilda, known in the family as Calma, was born at Schloss Callenberg, near Coburg, on 22 June 1912, the fourth child and second daughter of Charles Edward, Duke of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha and Victoria Adelaide of Schleswig-Holstein.
Caroline Mathilde was a younger sister of Prince Johann Leopold of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, Princess Sibylla of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha (mother of Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden), and Prince Hubertus of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha. She was also an older sister of Prince Friedrich Josias of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.
Princess Caroline Mathilde said her father sexually abused her. The allegation was backed by one of her brothers.
Marriages and issue
Princess Caroline married three times; firstly, on 14 December 1931, she married Friedrich Wolfgang Otto, Count of Castell-Rüdenhausen (27 June 1906 – 11 June 1940). She ultimately abandoned him, amid much controversy and scandal. On 2 May 1938 in Berlin, Caroline and Friedrich were divorced. He was killed in action during World War II, flying over England . They had three children:
- Count Bertram Friedrich of Castell-Rüdenhausen (12 July 1932), who married Felizitas von Auersperg
- Count Conradin Friedrich of Castell-Rüdenhausen (10 October 1933 – 1 October 2011), who married Marta Catharina Lonegren
- Countess Viktoria Adelheid of Castell-Rüdenhausen (26 February 1935), who married Lt.-Cdr. Sir John Miles Huntington-Whiteley, 4th Bt.
On 22 June 1938, she married Flight Captain Max Schnirring (20 May 1895 – 7 July 1944). He was also killed in a flying accident. They had three children:
- Calma Barbara Schnirring (18 November 1938), who married Richard Darrell Berger on 5 July 1961
- Dagmar Schnirring (22 November 1940), who married Heinrich Walz and had issue, later marrying Eberhard Schäl
- Peter Michael Schnirring (4 January 1943 – 10 February 1966)
On 23 December 1946, she married Karl Otto Andree (10 February 1912 – 1984). They divorced on 10 October 1949.
- Pendlebury, Richard (7 July 2008). "The West Country travel agent's wife 612th in line for the throne and the other unlikely Britons in our list of royal succession". Daily Mail.
- Urbach, Karina (2015). Go-Betweens for Hitler. Oxford: Oxford University Press. p. 178. ISBN 0191008672.