This biography of a living person needs additional citations for verification. (October 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Birth name||Chelsea Nikkel|
4 September 1992|
Auckland, New Zealand
|Genres||Indie pop, synthpop, baroque pop|
|Labels||Lil' Chief Records|
|Associated acts||The Brunettes|
Chelsea Nikkel, better known by her stage name Princess Chelsea, is an experimental producer and musician from Auckland, New Zealand, and a previous member of twee pop band The Brunettes and Auckland band Teenwolf. Nikkel is associated with the Lil' Chief Records collective and is a part-time member of Auckland soul group The Cosbys and Disciples of Macca, a Paul McCartney covers band featuring members of The Brunettes, Ruby Suns, Bressa Creeting Cake and Lawrence Arabia and more recently performs as bass player in three piece rock n roll band 'Hang Loose'. Nikkel works in Auckland as a composer.
Her baroque musical style has been attributed to her classical training, and the New Zealand Herald praised her "angelic vocals and acerbic wit". Her best known song, "The Cigarette Duet" received significant press exposure after its video went viral on YouTube in early 2012, recently reaching over 40 million views. This led to her being featured on The Guardian's "New Band of the Day".
Chelsea's song "World Turns Grey" was remixed in a collaboration with the German electronic music producer, Robin Schulz. The remix is on the album Sugar released by Schulz in September 2015.
In August 2016, she made a cover of a song called "Cold Glass Tube" by The Reduction Agents, which is available on the album Waiting for Your Love: A Tribute to The Reduction Agents. The album was released on iTunes on 19 August.
- Lil' Golden Book (2011)
- The Great Cybernetic Depression (2015)
- Aftertouch (2016)
- The Loneliest Girl (2018)
|"Your Woman"||2009||Non-album single|
|"Monkey Eats Bananas"||2009||Lil' Golden Book|
|"And I Love Her"||2010||Non-album single|
|"Too Fast to Live"||2011||Lil' Golden Book|
|"The Cigarette Duet"||2011||Lil' Golden Book|
|"Ice Reign"||2011||Lil' Golden Book|
|"Overseas"||2012||Lil' Golden Book|
|"We're so Lost"||2013||The Great Cybernetic Depression|
|"No Church on Sunday"||2014||No Church on Sunday|
|2009||"Monkey Eats Bananas"||Princess Chelsea||9 March||Chelsea dancing and performing in front of a green screen with the stuffed monkey used on the single cover. In the background, random footage is played, such as a clip of Bill O'Reilly's television meltdown, the movie poster to License to Drive, and gold fish underwater.|
|"Machines of Loving Grace"||18 March||The music video is entirely clips from the movie The NeverEnding Story|
|"Red Rollerskates"||The Brunettes||11 November||Makes a cameo as a jogger in the park|
|2010||"And I Love Her"||Princess Chelsea||17 April||-|
|2011||"Ice Reign"||4 April||The video is entirely Chelsea in front of a computer screen, occasionally sipping on a Diet Coke, with her stuffed monkey behind her.|
|"The Cigarette Duet"||Princess Chelsea & Jonathan Bree||7 June||The video is Chelsea and Bree in a hot tub, singing with bored expressions on their faces. The video is her most popular, reaching over 41 million views on YouTube.|
|"Too Fast To Live"||Princess Chelsea||10 October||Scenes of a house party that appear to be filmed by a tape recorder. Chelsea does not appear in the video until the last scene, when she is awoken by the director's fingers. She ends the video by flipping the camera off.|
|2012||"Yulia"||18 February||Chelsea and her cat, Winston, in front of a yellow background.|
|"Overseas"||Princess Chelsea (feat. James Milne)||13 September||Chelsea in Central Square.|
|"Frack"||Princess Chelsea||12 December||CGI animation of Chelsea in the future getting ready for her day. Her cat Winston makes a cameo in the video.|
|2013||"Caution Repetitive"||5 April||Chelsea trying on costumes. The video is last of the Lil' Golden Book series.|
|"We're So Lost"||29 October||CGI animation of Chelsea parodying The Sims.|
|"The Primrose Path"||Jonathan Bree||18 December||A music video of Jonathan Bree's full album, The Primrose Path, featuring him in bed with Chelsea and her cat, Winston. The video is referred to as an "anti music video."|
|2014||"No Church On Sunday"||Princess Chelsea||2 December||Chelsea standing in a CGI world in gothic outfits.|
|2015||"Too Many People"||28 May||Chelsea singing in a karaoke style in a black room with fog. Her cat Winston makes a cameo in the video.|
- "Princess Chelsea, About". Facebook. Facebook.com. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "Princess Chelsea - EPK". Lilchiefrecords.com. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Princess Chelsea - The Cigarette Duet". YouTube. 7 June 2011. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "New Band of the Day: Princess Chelsea (No 1,281)". The Guardian. 1 June 2012. Retrieved 6 January 2013.
- "The Cigarette Duet (European Tour Edition), by Princess Chelsea". Princess Chelsea. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "The Loneliest Girl, by Princess Chelsea". Princess Chelsea. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 28 February 2014. Retrieved 31 March 2014.
- "Monkey Eats Bananas, by Princess Chelsea". Princess Chelsea. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "And I Love Her, by Princess Chelsea". Princess Chelsea. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Too Fast To Live, by Princess Chelsea". Princess Chelsea. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "The Cigarette Duet, by Princess Chelsea". Princess Chelsea. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Ice Reign, by Princess Chelsea". Princess Chelsea. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "Overseas, by Princess Chelsea". Princess Chelsea. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "We're So Lost, by Princess Chelsea". Princess Chelsea. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- "video premiere: Princess Chelsea – No Church on Sunday". Gorilavsbear.net. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
|This article about a New Zealand musician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|