Princess Elisabeth, Duchess in Bavaria
|Duchess in Bavaria|
|Born||Elisabeth Christina Douglas|
31 December 1940
Stockholm, Kingdom of Sweden
Prince Max, Duke in Bavaria (m. 1967)
|Father||Count Carl Ludvig Douglas|
|Mother||Ottora Maria Haas-Heye|
|Bavarian royal family|
Elisabeth was born at Stockholm, Sweden on 31 December 1940. She was the first daughter of Count Carl Ludvig Douglas and Ottora Maria Haas-Heye. She was a granddaughter of General Vilhelm Archibald Douglas. Her maternal great-grandfather was Philip, Prince von Eulenburg (1847–1921) (friend of Wilhelm II, German Emperor), whose youngest child Viktoria Ada Astrid Agnes (1886–1967) married in 1909 Professor Otto Ludwig Haas-Heye (1879–1959), and had issue, including two daughters.
Elisabeth descends through both her mother and father from medieval Scandinavian nobility and rulers. However, her father's patrilineal ancestry is Scottish, of the Swedish-German branch, descended from the youngest son of James Douglas, 1st Baron of Dalkeith, ancestor of the 15th century Earls of Morton. She is, further, legitimately descended from Patrick Douglas, of Standingstone, who married Cairistiona Leslie, and whose son Robert Douglas (1611–1662) emigrated to Sweden and became the first Swedish Count Douglas. All these Douglases were of the Morton branch of the ancient Clan Douglas.
Marriage and family
Countess Elisabeth married on 10 January 1967 in a civil ceremony in Kreuth, to Prince Max, Duke in Bavaria, son of Albrecht, Duke of Bavaria and his first wife, Countess Maria Draskovich of Trakostjan and great-grandson of King Ludwig III of Bavaria. They married in a religious ceremony in Munich on 24 January 1967.
They have five daughters:
- Duchess Sophie Elizabeth Marie Gabrielle in Bavaria (born 28 October 1967 in Munich), married on 3 July 1993 in Vaduz, Hereditary Prince Alois of Liechtenstein (born 11 June 1968 in Zürich), son of Hans-Adam II, Prince of Liechtenstein, and Countess Marie Aglaë Kinsky of Wchinitz and Tettau. They have four children:
- Prince Joseph Wenzel Maximilian Maria of Liechtenstein, Count Rietberg (born 24 May 1995 in London)
- Princess Marie-Caroline Elisabeth Immaculata of Liechtenstein, Countess Rietberg (born 17 October 1996 in Grabs)
- Prince Georg Antonius Constantin Maria of Liechtenstein, Count Rietberg (born 20 April 1999 in Grabs)
- Prince Nikolaus Sebastian Alexander Maria of Liechtenstein, Count Rietberg (born 6 December 2000 in Grabs)
- Duchess Marie-Caroline Hedwig Eleonore in Bavaria (born 23 June 1969 in Munich), married on 27 July 1991 in Tegernsee, Duke Philipp of Württemberg (born 1 November 1964 in Friedrichshafen), son of Carl, Duke of Württemberg, and Princess Diane of Orléans. They have four children:
- Duchess Sophie Anastasia Assunta Marie Pauline of Württemberg (born 15 January 1994 in Munich), married on 15 September 2018 in Altshausen, Count Maximilien d'Andigné (born 19 March 1989), son of Count Hervé d'Andigné and Marie-Adélaïde de la Barre de Nanteuil
- Duchess Pauline Philippa Adelheid Helena Marie of Württemberg (born 15 April 1997 in London)
- Duke Carl-Theodor Philipp Maria Max Emanuel of Württemberg (born 15 June 1999 in London)
- Duchess Anna Maximiliana Elizabeth Mariella Marie of Württemberg (born 1 February 2007 in London)
- Duchess Helena Eugenie Maria Donatha Mechthild in Bavaria (born 6 May 1972 in Munich)
- Duchess Elisabeth Marie Christine Franziska in Bavaria (born 4 October 1973 in Munich), married on 25 September 2004 in Munich, Daniel Terberger (born 11 June 1967 in Bielefeld). They have two children:
- Maximilian Ludwig Terberger (born 30 August 2005 in Bielefeld)
- Ottora Elisabeth Victoria Lucia Terberger (born 13 December 2007)
- Duchess Maria Anna Henriette Gabrielle Julie in Bavaria (born 7 May 1975 in Munich), firstly married on 8 September 2007 in Munich, Klaus Runow (born 3 July 1964 in Duisburg), an investment banker. Their divorce was announced in early 2015. Maria-Anna secondly married on 16 October 2015, Baron Andreas von Maltzahn (born 1964), son of Mortimer von Maltzahn and Stephanie von Zedlitz und Leipe. She has two sons from her first marriage:
- Heinrich Maria Leopold Maximilian Runow (born 3 May 2010 in Munich)
- Johannes Emanuel Philipp Maria Runow (born 24 March 2012)
Titles and styles
- 30 December 1940 – 10 January 1967: Countess Elisabeth Christina Douglas-Stjernorp auf Mühlhausen und Langenstein.
- 10 January 1967 – present: Her Royal Highness Princess Elisabeth of Bavaria, Duchess in Bavaria.
|Ancestors of Princess Elisabeth, Duchess in Bavaria|
- "Royal weddings in history". Vogue. Archived from the original on 2014-05-01.
- Noel S. McFerran (2010). "Max, Duke in Bavaria". The Jacobite Heritage. Retrieved 2014-09-11.
- King Carl Gustaf's Birthday
- thePeerage.com - Elisabeth Christina Douglas, Countess Douglas
- Genealogics - Leo van de Pas - Elizabeth Grevinna Douglas
- Genealogisches Handbuch des Adels, Gräfliche Häuser, Reference: 1955.