Princess Elisabeth of Denmark
Princess Elisabeth of Denmark, RE (Elisabeth Caroline-Mathilde Alexandrine Helena Olga Thyra Feodora Estrid Margrethe Désirée; born 8 May 1935 in Copenhagen) is the daughter of Hereditary Prince Knud and Hereditary Princess Caroline-Mathilde of Denmark, and is a first cousin of the present Danish monarch, Queen Margrethe II.
As a first cousin of Queen Margrethe, she is twelfth in the line of succession to the Danish throne. She has not married and retains her place in the Danish order of succession and the title of Prinsesse til Danmark (literally translated as "Princess to Denmark", which is reserved for those members of the Royal Family in line of succession). She is the only child of Knud, Hereditary Prince of Denmark, to have succession rights to the throne of Denmark. Through both parents, she is descended from King George II of Great Britain, and is therefore also distantly in the line of succession to the British throne.
Princess Elisabeth was employed in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs from 1956 to 2001 and was posted abroad a number of times.
Though she has never married, she lived with film director Claus Hermansen for 20 years until his death in 1997. She does not have children.
Princess Elisabeth takes part in some official ceremonies as a member of the royal house. For example, she attends the New Year Courts.
She is patron of the following organisations:
- Kjæden (the chain).
- Danish-Brazilian Association (alongside HH Princess Dorrit Romanoff); the organisation promotes the development of cultural and commercial relations between Denmark and Brazil, and to raise awareness of Brazil in Denmark.
- Danish-Japanese Society; its aim is to support and strengthen cultural relations between Denmark and Japan and to raise awareness of Japan in Denmark.
- Præmieselskabet for Plejemødre af 1861 (award-giving society for foster mothers of 1861).
Title and style
Elisabeth is styled as "Her Highness Princess Elisabeth of Denmark".
Bjarne Erbo Grønfeldt, Deputy Private Secretary to the Queen, confirms that Princess Elisabeth's coat of arms consists of a shield of her grandfather's coat of arms supported by two savages holding clubs, surrounded by the Order of the Elephant, all under a canopy ensigned with a crown of her rank.
- Knight of the Order of the Elephant (R.E.).
- Grand Commander of the Order of the Dannebrog (S.Kmd.).
- "150 years of the House of Glücksborg". Retrieved 25 October 2014.
- RootsWeb: GEN-ROYAL-L Princess Elisabeth of Denmark
- Theodors Daab
- "Her Highness Princess Elisabeth". Danish Royal Court. Retrieved 22 December 2013.
- "Catalogue of place names in northern East Greenland" (PDF). Geological Survey of Denmark. Retrieved 18 June 2016.
- Princess Elisabeth of Denmark
Princess Elisabeth of Denmark
Cadet branch of the House of OldenburgBorn: 8 May 1935
|Lines of succession|
The Princess of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg
|Line of succession to the Danish throne
|Last in line|
Countess Feodora of Rosenborg
|Line of succession to the British throne
(descended from Caroline Matilda, granddaughter of George II)
Amelie von Miller zu Aichholz